WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Car cell phone holder

straight6pwr

Question

what gives? they all work like crap or fall apart. i'm returning the 4th one i've tried over the last couple years. they either fall apart or cant actually hold a phone with a case securely. 

windshield mount version - suction cup failed

2x vent mount version - vent mount part fell apart and stopped holding to vent. 2nd one could grab the phone tight enough. 

cd player slot version - to wobbly - weight of the phone is too heavy and the whole thing shakes 

i also cant use a magnet mount anymore as the phone has wireless charging. 

i'm about to just buy a mount that screws into the dash or use superglue but was hoping someone might have a better version they've found that isnt as permanently destructive. 

4 answers to this question

https://www.rammount.com

RAM is basically the standard for mounting devices in semis. I have the universal x-grip with a screw in dash mount but I'm gonna try the windshield mount and get the specific iPhone cradle I need. The X-grip rubber feet need replacement after 3 years as they've worn through inside out from the metal brace but I'd guess with less nvh in a car they would last longer.

The best part is you can build a custom solution for anything with different size/length components. 

1 hour ago, YoungCR said:

https://www.rammount.com

RAM is basically the standard for mounting devices in semis. I have the universal x-grip with a screw in dash mount but I'm gonna try the windshield mount and get the specific iPhone cradle I need. The X-grip rubber feet need replacement after 3 years as they've worn through inside out from the metal brace but I'd guess with less nvh in a car they would last longer.

The best part is you can build a custom solution for anything with different size/length components. 

thanks for the confirmation that those Xgrips work well. 3 years in a semi sounds sturdy. curious how their suction cup holds up.  i use RAM mounts for my boat stuff and love it.