WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

What to do?

m42b32

So as many of you know my e30 has sustained a minor fleshwound, and I have been debating what to do with it. I've narrowed it down to two options:

1. Replace the damaged sheet metal, rebuild a bunch of stuff, and then get it back on the road good as new. This would be more cost effective and I would end up with a really nice, fairly original e30 like I had before without much out of pocket.

-or-

2. Buy a 2002 or something along those lines, M42 swap that, and have a bad ass, 16v '02. And then save what is left of the e30 for a potential swap and a rebuild later. This could be fun because if anything happens to my dd M3 (more deer, rust, teenager texting while driving mom's minivan, etc) I will have a low mile s52 to put in it. Obviously this option will cost more than insurance gave me but it doesn't seem impossible to find a decent 2002. 

So what would you do? I'm really torn because I have always wanted an '02 and I can always get to the e30 later. But on the flip side an '02 could be a disaster of a project, and I could never end up fixing the e30.