WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 battery box repair help wanted

Boris3

Dug into this today and it looks like I need a bit more battery box work than I thought on the beater e30.

746d83d62da094313a6e3294c5242812.jpg

Before I start a beater quality repair job (sheet metal and a rivet gun) I thought I'd ask if there is anyone in the SE Wisconsin area with some cutting and welding skills that has done this before and might be able to help out. I'n not looking for restoration quality. Just want to see if there is a reasonable cost option out there that makes more sense than what will be my DIY hack job.

Since I am not a professional I still like to take my time with things to make sure they are done half way decent. I'm assuming that you don't have a welder, and in order for me to fix the rust I will have to have the car at my house. That's where the problem is. I simpley don't have the room to keep another car at my place to work on. It's easier for me to just work on my bench with a new box insert and then take a day cut metal out and weld it in the car.

Do you have an air compressor? 

I have a portable welding service if need be, but It would be interesting to do without my tools available. 

If possible, I could bend up the required section before I came, and then cut/weld to fit at your place. 

also, My tig is the only portable welder i have, unless you have 220v. 

I live in Princeton WI now. About 30 minutes west of fond du lac. 

I ended up going for the hack route. Did a bit more cutting, sprayed some rust reformer (yeah I know por-15 would have been better), cut and bent some sheet metal to fit, drilled for rivets, primed and an initial paint coat on the new piece.. Need to pick up some seam sealer. Should be able to finish up tomorrow. Install, rivet, seam seal, paint the inside, and undercoat the outside. We'll see how it turns out.

977708ad5cae6fb1529a47a2aee0f699.jpg

395ea0ed3fec9fd0163cc904479d8af4.jpg