WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New car?? Help.

LF(E36)M3

you thinking of adding to the stable or selling your E36? You seemed pretty set on it when we talked at Cars & Coffee. 

330XI imo is a pure commuter BMW. It was well received and handles well enough for a 3-series, reasonably tight, but to me when I see a 2006+ 330 or a 325, in stock form, i think "there goes another person who wanted a BMW just to say they have a BMW. Clearly not a driving enthusiast". The wheels need to be replaced, the exhaust looks too small and doesn't fit the chassis, and it still screams "omg omg omg I got a bmw, can i be part of the cool kids club now too?!" 

In practical terms, however, a '06 330 MIGHT be cheaper than an early N54 like an '07 335. The N54 was BMW's first attempt at a direct-injection turbo engine ever, and it shows. There were widespread issues with the high pressure fuel pump, the turbo wastegates - both of which BMW extended the warranty on - 120k miles on the fuel pump and 84k on the wastegates. Then there were also a lot of fuel injector failures and cracked valve covers. I could say water pumps as well but that's a common BMW thing in general due to their shitty electronic pumps. Common across many models. 

I say the 330 MIGHT be cheaper than a 335xi because the flipside to the reliability coin is that, in the vast majority of cases, any '07 335 that you look at, in the year 2015, will have invariably had the fuel pump replaced, injectors replaced, wastegates/turbos replaced - all of which have newer designs that are better and more reliable now. I think the car was a much bigger risk in 09-11 where if you were buying an '07 you could be getting one just out of warranty and prior to BMW giving extended warranties on those parts, forcing you to pay out of pocket unless the stealership goodwills it. 

The engines and trans are basically bulletproof, it's just those peripheral components that you need to verify have been replaced. 

That said, I would much sooner look for a well-kept '07 335xi with service records before an 06 330 because of the performance difference. N54 is just such a beautiful engine with so much potential for so little money and makes reliable power. It's a no-brainer in my book. 

Thanks! Thats a lot of help! And im adding to the stable, i need a new DD (1999 4runner is getting old), i could never give up my e36 to much of my blood and sweat in that car lol. I like the 335 better i just worry about turbo problems down the road,but your saying if it has been replaced it should be good to go then. I will look more in to those. Thanks again for your input

I started looking at a 330i that I drove at TJ's place of business and was impressed by it.  It is definitely a step up in power compared to the e36 but once I found that a 335i was in my budget the 330i just didn't seem to make sense.  I would echo Jordan's statements about the component issues on the n54 such as the wastegates but if you can find a vehicle that is still in warranty or has had it replaced then you are good to go!

• 2 weeks later...

The subframe issue should be pretty apparent once you drive it.  It sounds like somebody is slamming a bowling ball in the trunk on shifts or a hard take off.  Struts and shocks are probably original and should be replaced so that's something to keep in mind with that mileage.  The DISA valve near the intake mani tends to rattle on these and can cause serious damage if not repaired so at idle I would listen for that rattle. 

edit: The DISA valve is an easy fix but if you have to replace the whole thing it is around $200.  Typically you can clean them or buy the repair kit for them.

• 4 months later...