WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

So..i miss driving my car...who else stores theres in the winter time?

Bobdudeman1988

yeah i feel kinda bad about driving it but at the same time....i love that car too much. 

I talked to dastuz about it and he had the following wisdom to impart via prodding me with logical questions:

1) are you gonna drive it like a huge tool and spin out? No.

2) Do you think the car will become collectible i.e. you want low mileage? No.

3) Will you reasonably keep the car clean and wash it every week? Yes.

4) Will you just collect insurance and buy another BMW if someone plows into you and totals the shit out of it? Yes.

Ok then. I guess we're driving a 1er in winter. 

These were the exact same questions I asked myself... and the exact same answers.

Well... I do drive like a huge tool, but only when appropriate.

225 is only a half inch stretch over spec - max for a 225 is 9" rim. So it doesn't look obscene but it is noticeable IMO to anyone who knows anything about wheels lol. But it's winter so who cares. It's not worth it to spend money on a new set of rims for winter. I could have gotten like a 245 but for snow tires you want something skinnier so that the weight of the car is more focused. Wider tires spread the weight and reduce traction in snow. 

Pizza cutter tires are the way to go for winter.  I always go a size narrower and upsize the sidewall number to maintain similar O.D.

The Maxima stock size is 215/55-R16 and for winter I use 205/60-R16.  Goes and stops on a dime with Blizzaks.

I did the super narrow winters one year.  It ended up being a minor stretch for the tires, but it handled awesome.  Through deeper snow (like 2") and slush it was like being on rails.

Wide tires on trucks is just for looks, running wide mud tires is horrible in snow/ice and most offroad even. I have 245/75-r16 on my truck and even though they are almost bald highway type tread it does ok. Next I will be getting treadwright a/t's with kedge grip. Sweet stuff, I'd post a link but potato phone.

Sent from my potato phone

• 2 weeks later...