WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Doormans e30 325e

Doorman

Busted out the Harbor Freight DA!!

Did a test panel on the hood.

6477a977725d6e888766552c2c2c92c2.jpg5ec6e1175986447ef1a576b7e4fecf7c.jpg

Looked good so I started to go at the drivers side for a bit.

7e622a3e14a5f403efc2bc7eaac883da.jpgdce1763be6180bca2072ee44ef15539c.jpgf6b5ff2f9d2d350139e2fbbbbf8454e7.jpg

Don't know how well it's showing up in the pictures but in person it's nice!!

Yellow pad

Meg's ultimate compound

Speed 4

I may have to wet sand a bit on the leading edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This piece here

ee4e2eb5771b28fd9754275e6b75fae9.jpg

There are 2 of these for the sheetmetal shift carrier mount. Did you remove these for the alum. carrier? I have an early g260 that I am using in my car now. I havent looked too far into whether I need to remove these or not.

I stayed with the sheet metal carrier.

The bolts are 2 different lengths, keep that in mind.

I have also read they need to be reinstalled when changing to the aluminum carrier.

• 2 weeks later...

Should be pretty straightforward. For the lollipops I lube with dishsoap to get them on the rear of the control arm. You are supposed to install quickly and set the car down so they "glue" themselves in place with no twisting at ride height. The old ones should pull off with a a 3 jaw puller.

Sent from my potato phone

Drivers side out!!!

Took me about an hour and a half including jacking up the car, jack stands, both tires off etc.

daughter is napping and wife's at work. I may save the other side for when she gets home......she says she wants to help!!

Used my harbor freight ball joint tool for the tie rod and control arm joints. The 3' extension and 4 wacks with a hammer took care of the inner joint.

All joints are "mushy" and easily moveable by hand.

5a6cb10a582559766e55fa9370c50dd5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I clamped the lolipop in a vice and used dishsoap and water solution (probably close to 50/50 ratio) and then pushed the arm into it. I just eye-balled the angle, so it probably wasn't optimal. It wasn't easy or fun, so make sure you put them on the right way the first time... facepalm.gif

All new parts are on the car!!!

I'll get everything torqued up tomorrow.

A couple issues.

Broke a stud in the u bracket that the sway bar link bolts too. I'll grind it off tomorrow and replace the bolt.

Tie rod ends have approx 1" too much thread on them. I'll grab a nut from Lowes or Ace tomorrow and thread it on then cut the extra threads off. I didn't replace the inner part because it has no play and looks better quality then the ones from ECS. Boots are perfect as well.

A bit of dish soap and I pushed and twisted a bit to get the lollipops on the control arms.

What does everyone use to torque the inner control arm nuts?

Crows foot?

It's the one that's up above the subframe.

The drivers side wasnt an issue but on the passenger side I had two different 22mm wrenches and took turns with each one/whichever one fit without interfering. Turn it a few degrees, then use the other one. Quite tedious

That was the worst one to get off.

I'll take both of your guys advise and crank them down.