WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Doormans e30 325e

Doorman

http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index.php?/topic/3401-new-member-from-south-of-the-border/#entry52155

Figured I'd drag this over here.

Previous info in the thread above.

Shifter rebuild parts from pelican arrived today.

I've seen a video diy on bav auto for an e36 and he broke the "bitch clip".

Should a grab a new one just incase?

I was gonna do the rebuild this weekend but I have to work Saturday night......stupid work!!

Too damn cold anyway.

My heater in the garage would barely make a dent.

I haven't broken one in several times of removal/installation but it could happen.  It can be done without dropping the exhaust or driveshaft unless you have massive hands.  I would recommend a small short flat screwdriver to get the clip rotated up so it can be pulled back.  Might help to lower the back of the trans just a half inch or so.  Always use jack stands.

I haven't broken one in several times of removal/installation but it could happen. It can be done without dropping the exhaust or driveshaft unless you have massive hands. I would recommend a small short flat screwdriver to get the clip rotated up so it can be pulled back. Might help to lower the back of the trans just a half inch or so. Always use jack stands.

I saw a DIY where the guy used a hook type tool from harbor freight to pop off the clip.

Who needs an excuse to go to Harbor Freight!

I saw a DIY where the guy used a hook type tool from harbor freight to pop off the clip.

Who needs an excuse to go to Harbor Freight!

Yes that would work quite well.  It can be hard to get started rotating because there is a barb that digs into the aluminum.  A new clip would also be helpful just to look at while you are doing it blind to understand what you are doing.

Yes that would work quite well. It can be hard to get started rotating because there is a barb that digs into the aluminum. A new clip would also be helpful just to look at while you are doing it blind to understand what you are doing.

There's a GIF image on one of the forums showing how it's done. Makes perfect sense to me. Lots of blind fasteners/odd stuff in the door industry.

Cleaned out the garage over the weekend.

Both BMWs are now toasty warm!!!

Ordered this from the dealer today

2e21e4028a5aa7304d9264b9e5225188.jpg

Special order part......had to pay up front.....$6.00 including tax!!!

Weather for later this week/weekend is supposed to be warmer and work seems to be "calmer".

I hope to get her up on jack stands Friday night and tear into the shifter bushings Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Doorman. After you rebuild your shifter let me know if you might want to tackel mine for some $$. Mine is super sloppy. Or possibly install a short throw. Or if any other members have expierence with it and would possibly like the job.

You're welcome to come and check/help out if you'd like!

I'll definitely post up results.

Currently defrosting wife's Honda Odyssey windshield washer reservoir.....damn women and their dollar store crap!

Well.........

Got the e30 up on jack stands and started poking around underneath her.

It appears I have an early model sheet metal shift carrier and not the aluminum shift carrier.

Most of the parts in the bushing kit from pelican should work.

Anyone have any experience/tips in tightening up the bolts in the front of the carrier?

Doing some web searching now and back at it tomorrow.

Lots of reading last night and comparing parts.

Looks like I have the correct kit.

Dropped rear of exhaust, removed heat shield above exhaust and working on guibo bolts/nuts.

Hoping to remove nuts and slide drive shaft back and let is hang to get access. I marked guibo with some spray paint, all my reading says to reinstall in original orientation.

Gonna try to get the balancer mounted around the guibo off as well.

Back to work!!

Triumphant success!!!

Finished up earlier today, showered and took the wife and one daughter out for dinner.

Of course we took the e30!!

Shifts fantastic now.

Wife drove about 15 minutes and she loves it too.

Pictures....

953960bf6606a2ca8fb55a1e2aa176ab.jpg

Pre 86 build date sheet metal shift carrier

9fff97ee86c32e6033e9dae9316ced2d.jpg

Shifter out.

Replaced the lower piece that the shifter sits in.

Snap ring pliers were needed, and of course I had some in the work truck.

ee4e2eb5771b28fd9754275e6b75fae9.jpg

Old part that attaches front of shift carrier to trans. New one in the right. There's two in the front and both were pretty wasted!! Both bolts were loose and the passenger side I took our by hand.

e1900905ccb8230bcb98f44b6bfbf3cf.jpg

Top of trans.

It looks like I could have retrofitted an aluminum carrier based on the reading I have done.

Next on the list is suspension and rims/tires.

not enough room for flex heads. I just use a regular open end on top to hold the bolt and tighten the nut on bitten with a ratchet. Your on the right route by taking off the exhaust, driveshaft and quibo.

Dropped the front of the drive shaft and the rear of the exhaust.

Ordered a new shift boot and ebrake boot from Nine Stitch in New York, he's also gonna give me a price on making a new houndstooth cover for my drivers seat. He expects it to be in the $300 range.

Picked up a Harbor Freight 6" DA polisher. The DA gets some pretty good reviews from the detail guys online.

Stopped at an Auto Body shop today on a recommendation from a mechanic next door (was fixing his door....hence "doorman"). Turns out the guy is into old BMWs!! Showed him pics of my hood/trunk and he said if I can't fix them wet sanding/polishing he'd paint them both for $500.

Still scouring CL and checking around the forums for some 4x100 rims.

Should be ordering suspension parts early February.