WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Rear end sideways bump

michael1972

Question

So what suspension parts might cause this? 1987 325e...replaced shocks and struts with KYB's and put in H&R race springs. The problem is this...when I hit small bumps like sewer covers and stuff with the rear it seems to want to bounce sideways like it shudders to one side. Also seems rather bouncy from the rear. I know I should of used a little better shock but was trying to be budget minded.

I'm going to be killed for this but 97 mustang gt shocks are stiffer than the KYB's and shorter than the Bilstein Sports. They're a good budget minded shock if you don't have the money for the Bilsteins. They're around $60 for a pair at the parts store and are a direct fit.

I'm going to be killed for this but 97 mustang gt shocks are stiffer than the KYB's and shorter than the Bilstein Sports. They're a good budget minded shock if you don't have the money for the Bilsteins. They're around $60 for a pair at the parts store and are a direct fit.

Thanks Earl. I think I will throw some of those in and see how it rides. Am I looking for just stock replacement mustang gt shock?

What brand replacement would you get? You can get kyb's with adjustable dampening. NOt sure how much cost difference it is at that point though

Take a look at real oem or bmwfans.info and you can find the parts schematics for your car. Useful sites.

Bilsteins have an internal bump stop so you wouldn't need to add one.

BAP was wrong about the e30. if you are using a shock w/o an internal bump stop you would need one on the fronts and rears.

Part number for rear: 33-52-1-125-078

What shocks were on on your car?

That round rubber disk is your bump stop. The plastic sleeve will keep dirt and crap out of the shock and in the top of the sleeve is a metal cup washer open side down. See the Turner picture: which omits the bump stop and the sleeve.

Now all that said if the rear end wasn't dancing around when you got it the issue is the shock and spring combination.

Ok so I got to the bottom of the problem thanks to Boris. Here is what happened total installer error on my part. See pic number one. There was a small metal sleeve spacer on the original shocks see pic 2 that I put on the new shocks bad idea as you can see. Also I took the bottom washer off that came on the kyb shock see pic 3 and put it on the top. Result no bottom washer and the top washer stuck on top of the small spacer instead of on the mount. Took the spacer out and put the washer on the bottom and other washer on the top see last pic. Went for a long bumpy road drive and it is way better now. Thanks for the help guys.

post-2797-0-40043700-1420334867_thumb.jp

post-2797-0-25232800-1420334901_thumb.jp

post-2797-0-15596100-1420334980_thumb.jp

post-2797-0-42044000-1420335020_thumb.jp

That round rubber disk is your bump stop. The plastic sleeve will keep dirt and crap out of the shock and in the top of the sleeve is a metal cup washer open side down. See the Turner picture: which omits the bump stop and the sleeve.

Now all that said if the rear end wasn't dancing around when you got it the issue is the shock and spring combination.

Ok so now I think I still have it wrong. Am I supposed to reuse the washer thats in the sleeve on the bottom side of the mount or since the kyb has a metal sleeve on the shock do I not use a washer at all on the bottom. Because what I think I have going on now is 2 top washers. One on bottom and one on top.

The PO on my 318is had kybs and reused the bottom stock cup washer under the mount (open side down like in the Turner diagram). The cup washers are the same top and bottom. The orientation on the install is the difference. See the picture.

When I put in the bilstein and h&r sports I followed the Turner diagram on assembly plus bought a set of stock rear plastic boots. Bilsteins don't have the Kyb metal sleeve and with a winter DD figured it would be good to keep the crap out of the shock.

Still think your bouncing has more to do with the RSM and/or the pairing of shocks and springs. Might help to have someone take a ride with you to figure out what's going on.

The ride is way better now. I was just thinking I still had the washers wrong. I don't want to leave it like that if the ride is good but still have it installed wrong. If that makes sense. If the top and bottom washers are the same then I do have them installed correctly. The old washer thats in the plastic boot looks to be bigger tho.