WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Rear end sideways bump

michael1972

Question

So what suspension parts might cause this? 1987 325e...replaced shocks and struts with KYB's and put in H&R race springs. The problem is this...when I hit small bumps like sewer covers and stuff with the rear it seems to want to bounce sideways like it shudders to one side. Also seems rather bouncy from the rear. I know I should of used a little better shock but was trying to be budget minded.

Here is what I have going on now on the bottom side. First 2 pics are left last pic is right side. They are installed according to the diagram. Topside washers have cupside down. As far as surprises I shouldn't have to many. Car was a one owner and he paid for all service from new and gave me records. From what I have looked at and what he could recall he didn't think the shocks were ever changed. I am not sure about that but all 4 corners were beyond blown out. So who knows maybe it was the one thing that got negelcted.

post-2797-0-23383700-1420386114_thumb.jp

post-2797-0-44899700-1420386142_thumb.jp

post-2797-0-21535800-1420386170_thumb.jp