WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

540i: Resonator/Muffler delete.

rampelsauce

Question

I know this is a big topic across the web-o-sphere, but I have a new take on it.  My 540i doesn't have dual exhaust, however I have the Y-Resonator that dead ends on one side.  My question is, will it screw up my low end power if I cut off the dead end side?  It should give me some bigger sound for sure, but I will not sacrifice power for sound. 

Along with this, I'm thinking about deleting the scuba tank as well.  This is the dead end muffler.  A fairly popular mod.

Opinons?  I attached a couple of pictures to show you all how my exhaust system looks. You can see the dead end of the Y-resonator pretty clearly, and the dead end muffler (scuba tank.)

image_25876_big.jpg

15.jpg

Umm crap, I think it Grafton. Not 100% sure but it probably close to you guys and I'm willing to drive around especially if I just made my car all sexy sounding . I concur, m60/62 clan. Just need a catchy name because 540 gang was just so great then sticker design can happen at the party this winter.

That is very close to both of us, and actually where both Zach and I work. So there are plenty of places where we could meet and go for a drive. I will have to take the e34 though, which kind of defeats the purpose of a m60/62 clan meet haha. We will think of a sticker design I'm sure.

Found this on Bimmerforums:

"We have been over this a few times. Pre-1991 or so, every American BMW had "525i/A". Then they changed it to 525i for manual and 525iA for auto, and that's how it is today.

If you see someone list a car as 525iA that means auto, nobody uses it to say American. 525iM is not official term for a manual but makes sense as the counterpart of the "A" suffix."