WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

540i: Resonator/Muffler delete.

rampelsauce

Question

I know this is a big topic across the web-o-sphere, but I have a new take on it.  My 540i doesn't have dual exhaust, however I have the Y-Resonator that dead ends on one side.  My question is, will it screw up my low end power if I cut off the dead end side?  It should give me some bigger sound for sure, but I will not sacrifice power for sound. 

Along with this, I'm thinking about deleting the scuba tank as well.  This is the dead end muffler.  A fairly popular mod.

Opinons?  I attached a couple of pictures to show you all how my exhaust system looks. You can see the dead end of the Y-resonator pretty clearly, and the dead end muffler (scuba tank.)

image_25876_big.jpg

15.jpg

I've driven/ridden in his car and it has no drone on the highway. Only thing I'd have done differently is put in a straight pipe so the exhaust exits out behind the car and not under it. Still a simple mod and great results.

He has videos here. http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index.php?/topic/2493-camera-tow-hook-mount/?fromsearch=1

After looking at a few other forums, I have a new query. 

What about dual straight pipes from the Y-resonator?  As in, cut a hole in the dead end y-resonator, and branch off for an additional exit on the other side of the car.

I've seen a couple of videos where people deleted the muffler all together and sounded great under load with little to no drone at cruising speed.  That's what I want to achieve.  However, this was just single exit with a turn down at the end.  Exhaust piping is cheap and I could play with it a bit but I'd like to get some opinions, educated guesses, ect. 

My 2001 had 2 sets of cats and a straight pipe. Sounded great when you wanted it to, but didn't drone out on the highway.

I believe you have 2 2-1 headers which don't have the cats built in so it won't be the same, but without any muffler it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I believe Dominic540i just chopped off his "scuba tank" and it sounds awesome. Not sure if his exhaust is the same as yours though.

You are correct there, and it should be the exact same exhaust. I always planned to put a turndown pipe in its place, but never got around to it. Now I have other plans anyway, since my car is completely torn apart. My exhaust is off entirely if you would like pictures of anything also. I would definitely recommend it though. Very slight loss in bottom end torque (almost unnoticeable), but definite gains in top end power.

As far as the dual exhaust option, it would require cutting/modifying the spare tire tub, as there is no room for a pipe on the passenger side. I would stay away from that personally.

You are correct there, and it should be the exact same exhaust. I always planned to put a turndown pipe in its place, but never got around to it. Now I have other plans anyway, since my car is completely torn apart. My exhaust is off entirely if you would like pictures of anything also. I would definitely recommend it though. Very slight loss in bottom end torque (almost unnoticeable), but definite gains in top end power.

As far as the dual exhaust option, it would require cutting/modifying the spare tire tub, as there is no room for a pipe on the passenger side. I would stay away from that personally.

Yeah, if you could post some photos, that'd be great!

.As far as the dual exhaust option, it would require cutting/modifying the spare tire tub, as there is no room for a pipe on the passenger side. I would stay away from that personally.

Or do dual pipes side by side like my 540  :cool: also, another person to join our 540 gang when we go to meets Dom! 

I really need to do my exhaust too, I'm just cutting out my cats and stock resonator and putting a magnaflow resonator on. If you want Zach, we could team up and knock both of our cars out when I'm home in a week.  

I'm like the bastard child of the 540 clan.  Like Jon Snow, but a total bitch.  

I'm sure we could make an exception but I'd have to consult Dom. On the over on Lake Michigan part, I will more likely then not head over to Milwaukee area for a visit to some family friends (Chris, Aaron Anding wants us to visit) maybe we could work something out where when I'm over there there we can do it that weekend and then Chris could could just be there because party, then have a party. My friends are flexible so we could plan something and get all the stars to align just right.

.As far as the dual exhaust option, it would require cutting/modifying the spare tire tub, as there is no room for a pipe on the passenger side. I would stay away from that personally.

Or do dual pipes side by side like my 540  :cool: also, another person to join our 540 gang when we go to meets Dom! 

I really need to do my exhaust too, I'm just cutting out my cats and stock resonator and putting a magnaflow resonator on. If you want Zach, we could team up and knock both of our cars out when I'm home in a week.  

Woohoo, the gang is growing! (And yes, I think we can make the exception.)

I plan on doing a very similar exhaust setup once I get everything done and put back together.

I second an M5 rear bumper cover for true duals.  

Simply cutting off the dead end donkey dick thing under the car should not hurt performance, but it is a major percentage of the total resonator volume, it will make it louder and possibly add a drone.

If it were me, I'd cut the entire stock resonator thing off, make custom dual exhaust from the Y back.  I'd weld in two tuned resonators (magnaflow or similar) and hand two smaller mufflers in the rear (again, magnaflow or similar).

I've never looked underneath a 540, but can you run a passenger exhaust and keep the spare?  

Someone in the 540 clan should really think about buying mine. It was badass. https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/121188167@N08/15508368719/
Im ballin on a broke ass college kid budget and my 540 is a e34, probably won't bolt right in.
I plan on doing a very similar exhaust setup once I get everything done and put back together.
Your in Milwaukee too, might as well do all the 540 gangs exhaust done this winter. On a second note, WIbimmer 540 gang stickers. A necessity.

I second an M5 rear bumper cover for true duals.  

Simply cutting off the dead end donkey dick thing under the car should not hurt performance, but it is a major percentage of the total resonator volume, it will make it louder and possibly add a drone.

If it were me, I'd cut the entire stock resonator thing off, make custom dual exhaust from the Y back.  I'd weld in two tuned resonators (magnaflow or similar) and hand two smaller mufflers in the rear (again, magnaflow or similar).

I've never looked underneath a 540, but can you run a passenger exhaust and keep the spare?  

It may be possible, but I have not thought seriously enough about it to warrant giving it a try. If it is possible, I would imagine it could be rather difficult, and may hang down lower than the underside of the car.

Your in Milwaukee too, might as well do all the 540 gangs exhaust done this winter. On a second note, WIbimmer 540 gang stickers. A necessity.

I am just north of Milwaukee by about 40 miles (only about 15 from Zach), but my car is no where near ready to have an exhaust put on. It currently has the engine and tranny removed and half of the engine is apart with more to do.

I like the sticker idea though, definitely necessary.

I am just north of Milwaukee by about 40 miles (only about 15 from Zach), but my car is no where near ready to have an exhaust put on. It currently has the engine and tranny removed and half of the engine is apart with more to do. I like the sticker idea though, definitely necessary.
Well we can bring your exhaust over and cut it up just to get it done or you can come for the party I'm volunteering someone to have. My family friends live 45 mins north of Milwaukee so we can make this work quite well.
Can my bastard 340i join?And yeah I think this will only fit a late model E39 or any one with the 4-1 manifolds.
WIbimmer v8.... Something. I don't know I'm sure we can come up with something catchy, as long as there is a sticker.

Can my bastard 340i join?

And yeah I think this will only fit a late model E39 or any one with the 4-1 manifolds.

I think we can open it up to any M60/62 engines. What do you think Ben? And you are correct, early model E39's like mine and Zach's have two 2-1 manifolds per side in place of a 4-1 manifold.

Well we can bring your exhaust over and cut it up just to get it done or you can come for the party I'm volunteering someone to have. My family friends live 45 mins north of Milwaukee so we can make this work quite well.

WIbimmer v8.... Something. I don't know I'm sure we can come up with something catchy, as long as there is a sticker.

Still not completely set on the exhaust route I plan to take, but I can do the party! Out of curiosity, where is your friend's place?

Still not completely set on the exhaust route I plan to take, but I can do the party! Out of curiosity, where is your friend's place?

Umm crap, I think it Grafton. Not 100% sure but it probably close to you guys and I'm willing to drive around especially if I just made my car all sexy sounding