WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My 91 325i

B C

I am planning on Megasquirt and will either go 2.8L or 3.1L with an increase in compression ratio. I am guessing that next winter will be the engine build. This spring and summer 2012 will be for improving my driving skills at the track.

Edited by Snap Understeer

• 3 months later...

I would have dropped by the meet but I was rocking a Toyota Camry and didn't want to draw attention and make everyone feel like their car is a piece of crap or something.

Today I got the new clutch master cyl, clutch line, firewall grommets, man-pedal and brake pedal in. Definitely the biggest PITA of the whole project. I also put my ABS pump back in and a host of other items that I removed to clean up and repaint the bay, spent a while degreasing things, and dropped my transmission off to have this piece welded back on:

Posted Image

Current status of the work area:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little preview of the painted bay (bedliner)

Posted Image

Man-pedal installed (nevermind the phallic-looking steering shaft hanging down)

Posted Image

OBC gauge panel installed for the wideband

Posted Image

Oil pan baffle and windage tray should be in next week as well as doing the rear main seal and getting very close to putting the engine+trans back in the car.

I would have dropped by the meet but I was rocking a Toyota Camry and didn't want to draw attention and make everyone feel like their car is a piece of crap or something.

Today I got the new clutch master cyl, clutch line, firewall grommets, man-pedal and brake pedal in. Definitely the biggest PITA of the whole project. I also put my ABS pump back in and a host of other items that I removed to clean up and repaint the bay, spent a while degreasing things, and dropped my transmission off to have this piece welded back on:

Posted Image

Current status of the work area:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little preview of the painted bay (bedliner)

Posted Image

Man-pedal installed (nevermind the phallic-looking steering shaft hanging down)

Posted Image

OBC gauge panel installed for the wideband

Posted Image

During the week I will recieve my oil pan baffle and windage tray and will be installing those next weekend. This next weekend should get me very close to putting the drivetrain back in the car.

I was too busy to get much done this week besides install my oil pan baffle and clean my oil pan up.

I also picked up my transmission from the welder, the broken piece was welded back on and it looks excellent. I will post pics of that in a while.

I have 2 more oil seals to replace on my transmission which I will do this week.

Im making slow progress but I am also going through and cleaning/restoring/rebuilding things with a little more OCD than most 5-spd swappers do.

Hey!, its Nathan from r3v. It looks like you have everything under control man. Your doing way more then I did "while I was in there" ha. I'm jelious of your patience, I drove my car into the garage for the swap and 10 hours later I was pulling it back out.

Hey!, its Nathan from r3v. It looks like you have everything under control man. Your doing way more then I did "while I was in there" ha. I'm jelious of your patience, I drove my car into the garage for the swap and 10 hours later I was pulling it back out.

Sup Nathan! I have only put 30 miles on my car since Sept. 2011. The only thing keeping me patient is the reminder that its still salty/snowy outside. I have almost totally forgotten what its like to drive my E30. Hope to see you at the track/ local meet sometime so we can be pretend to be elite as we discuss the art of the E30 man-pedal swap.

Sup Nathan! I have only put 30 miles on my car since Sept. 2011. The only thing keeping me patient is the reminder that its still salty/snowy outside. I have almost totally forgotten what its like to drive my E30. Hope to see you at the track/ local meet sometime so we can be pretend to be elite as we discuss the art of the E30 man-pedal swap.

Ha I know exactly how you feel man. Wait till your first cruise! I felt like king shit for the first couple days!

I forgot my camera when I went to wrench yesterday so no pics from this update.

I finished the input and output seals on the transmission and installed the last few bits to refresh the shift linkage such as a new shifter bearing cup and selector rod joint.

I inspected the timing belt, water pump, cap and rotor to see how they are holding up after 10k and to make sure no oil was on the belt from a slow mystery oil leak. The cap and rotor looked worn pretty badly for only 10k. The belt was fine. I took the time to install the factory clips and retainer for the CPS and oil pressure sender wires that run through the pulleys and installed a bunch of other broken OEM clips and pieces. I soldered the oil pressure sender wire because it was taped together.

I installed a new high pressure hose on my steering rack since the one I had before was not the right hose (much too long).

I then changed a few of the coolant hoses that I hadn't changed before, and cleaned up the work area a bit.

My 4.10 open diff shuddered and whined when I first got the car. Some Lucas diff oil shut it up for the most part and the car drove fine but after taking it out today it just feels horrible to turn by hand. I was going to sell it for a few bucks but it is junk. I installed an S3.73 which will work better with the 5 spd ratios. The 4.10 and Getrag 260 makes for a pointless first gear.

ENGINE + 5SPD TRANS ARE IN THE CAR!

spent a good 10 hours on the car today.

We installed a new steering flex disk and got the steering linkages all put back together. Installed new grommets on the brake fluid res. POR15'd the muffler brackets and drilled out the broken stud on one of them. Changed the rear main seal, installed the new oil pan with baffle and windage tray. The gaskets were being stupid so I am just running RTV and praying that it doesn't leak. The lightened flywheel, new clutch and pressure plate went on and then of course the transmission. Then the engine and trans went in the car.

I got my new driveshaft this week. I did notice a hose that needs replacing so I need to get that, connect everything , add fluids, bleed brakes clutch and coolant, and get the M42 radiator to fit. I still need to weld a new bung for the wideband before the exhaust goes in.

I expect to be driving the car next weekend !

HECK YEAH!!!! Man I have to tell everyone that this car looks amazing in person. Everything is coming together perfectly and will be one mean machine. It's been a blast helping out on this project let me tell you. Hopefully I can get enough free time to help finish this beast up on Saturday. Can't wait to take a ride in it possibly this weekend!

^ALMOST

Bassboy3313 was helping me again this weekend (couldn't have made such progress without him, he has been a HUGE help).

He was connecting hoses and wires in the engine bay while I was adding fluids, connecting the clutch line, mounting the shifter, the power steering pump and lines. We installed the new driveshaft, the exhaust heat shields, the M42 radiator, then I realized I got the wrong hose splice piece to make the M42 radiator work so we had to make a trip to the store. My father-in-law insisted that we take his 335i which caused us to arrive at the store much faster than we should have :cool:

We then realized that another hose needed a splice and had to make yet another trip. I think if we didn't have the 2 unexpected trips to the store we would have finished it all in time on Saturday but the extra few days of downtime allows me to get the wideband bung welded in so im ready to rock for this coming Saturday.

The good news is that the car fired right up once everything was connected so I can sleep well at night knowing that I didnt kink any wires too badly or get anything mixed up

What's left:

-Install hood

-Bleed brakes + clutch

-Bleed cooling system

-Install front wheels

-Install drivers headlights+grille

-Put interior together

-Mount exhaust