WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1997 540i/A: High mileage ballin' on a budget.

rampelsauce

So I figured I should start a thread on the new ride.  It's got 257k on it but you can't really tell.  Seats are in fantastic shape, engine is dead silent even when cold, and trans shifts like butter.  Being my first V8 bimmer, I'm blown away by the power.  Hits 70 before you know it, and you don't even feel like you're going fast.  

Initial issues:

-The brake light switch is out, as the rear brake lights stay on when the car is on.  

-Tires are noisy and need to be replaced (anyone spare some 16" winters?)

-Odd electrical noise coming from the front of the car on occasion, accompanied by a vibration from the rear.  (ASC issues?)

-Could use a front suspension overhaul.

-Needs moar low. Looking at coilover options.  

-Slight ignition hesitation on cold start.  And by slight, I mean just enough to pique my curiosity.

-Odds and ends need to be sorted (bulbs, cleaning, buff&wax)

Small list for a car with a quarter million miles.  I have a couple other things in mind, but all in due time.

10847779_10152625938778432_4134586869124

So, today I picked up a new 3rd brake light, a brake light switch, and a light control module.  I'll be installing the switch and light tomorrow.  

Picked up the LCM as a spare, and got it all for $50.  There's a guy parting out a couple of 540i's and building an M62 swapped E30.  Pretty sweet.  He's selling a ton of alcantara.

I"m looking for someone to mount and balance some tires on my 18's. Also someone who can do some coding.  

With the body as straight as it is, I might be looking for a messed up 540i/6 to swap over all the goods (yes, I know what the swap entails).  Enjoying the 5er life so far.

Lookin good!  I demand more pics!!

A suspension overall will yield great results.  I did mine at 120K and noticed a HUGE difference.  Yours will feel like a new car!

I have some M rear calipers laying around if interested.  I also have a set of OEM facelift headlights, but would need ballasts, and possibly an adapter harness to work with your car, I've never looked into it.

I lucked out.  The service that was performed on this car was outstanding.  Everything is so clean.  The only real precautionary stuff I'm going to do now are fluid changes, filter changes, and general maintainence.  The engine is quiet.  No chain noise when cold or warm.  It's unbelieveable.  If the engine does shit the bed, I plan on keeping the chassis regarless.  It's in such good shape it would be a shame to scrap it/sell it.  The previous owner was a scholar and a gentleman for keeping up on maintainance as well as he did.  The headlights aren't even cloudy!

Will post some high quality pictures soon.

I lucked out.  The service that was performed on this car was outstanding.  Everything is so clean.  The only real precautionary stuff I'm going to do now are fluid changes, filter changes, and general maintainence.  The engine is quiet.  No chain noise when cold or warm.  It's unbelieveable.  If the engine does shit the bed, I plan on keeping the chassis regarless.  It's in such good shape it would be a shame to scrap it/sell it.  The previous owner was a scholar and a gentleman for keeping up on maintainance as well as he did.  The headlights aren't even cloudy!

Will post some high quality pictures soon.

You know someone would buy that motor broken too. E39s are sexy. Definitely one of BMWs best lookers

A couple things I've noticed after driving for an extended period of time:

-Throttle surges a bit, not sure if transmission or what.  Not too terrible but something I would like to address.  Planning on a trans flush sooner than later.

-The humming.  I thought this may be an ASC issue, but now I'm not sure.  I'm going to take my car to Rawsomotion and see what Jake thinks.  Its a sound and vibration similar to crossing a metal grate bridge.  Like driving on a rumble strip, but much less intense. 

-Oil light flickers.  After driving for a long period of time, the oil light starts to flicker a bit at idle. 

-Tires are noisy as fuck.  Seriously, someone sell me some certified pre-owned 16's.

Other than that, car still feels great.  I'm really enjoying my heated seats/steering wheel. 

Do these still have the oil pump bolt falling out issues? A guy at work just got a 93 740iL and we need to check it because its common for the oil pump bolts to drop out until self destruction happens. Once the pump gets loose oil pressure is lost. If you haven't changed the oil yet it could be the wrong viscosity too.

Sent from my potato phone