WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

So this happened...

m42b32

So I have been actively looking for a decent daily driver for a really low price that I would still be somewhat interested in. I had to rule out bimmers as parts are pretty pricey and I just couldn't get myself to buy a honda or something boring like that. So I got a little weird and bought this:

15001554946_5c4f033a43_c.jpg

Its a 1991 Saab 900, Black with a tan cloth interior, 5 speed, 16v four cylinder, 205k miles, and surprisingly little rust, especially in the critical areas that these tend to rust in. It drives great and really needs nothing right now except a headliner (sagging to the point of being a hat) and a realllllly deep clean. I go to pick it up tomorrow, will post more pictures then!

I think they look like turds, but I want one

Yeah they aren't the most beautiful cars but the look has really grown on me, they are just so weird

The clutch location on those cars is baffling. Also Night Panel.

I wish this had the night panel so bad, I think that wasn't an option until the next generation of cars 

My dad is a huge fan of saabs and has had about 5 different older 900's like this one. I have always liked them too. The best one was a black convertible 900S turbo. Unfortunately my mom got t-boned while driving it. Fortunately older saab's were built like tanks and she didnt have a scratch on her. Just another reason why I like the older saab's as well.

Got the car home tonight, title transfers when you are out of state are a mess if anyone was wondering. I'm going to transfer the bimmer plates to the saab and register the bimmer as a classic/hobbyist car. Anyway, it drives pretty good and the engine runs well. The exhaust is a bit of a hack job but its actually a bit louder than stock and doesn't sound that bad. I'll post some pictures once I give the car a good wash inside and out! Ill be honest though, compared to an e30 it sucks haha.

I always wanted one when I was younger=) How are they reliability and gas mileage wise? 

As far as reliability and gas mileage I haven't really had much experience yet, I will keep you posted! From what I hear you can get 30mpg with a non-turbo and they are tanks if you take care of them.

Updates! So I gave it a good wash to see what I am up against:

14888950259_d07de8e2dd_c.jpg

It doesn't look half bad! I got rid of the hubcaps because they suck and while washing it I found two pretty bad water leaks in the rear quarter windows. These leaks have been going for a while it looks like a nd have made a bit of a moldy mess of the little trim piece behind the seal so I have to rip those out and throw them away. Other than that it has been running a driving great. It will need a valve cover gasket in the near future (pretty bad oil leak) and a trans oil change as it could certainly shift much smoother. Inside I will be recovering the headliner and a few other interior panels as the fabric has delaminated as well as shampooing the seats and carpet to clean them up a bit.

I told myself that I wasn't going to buy any more projects....whoops...

• 2 months later...