WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Quebec bans stance

B C

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/quebec-to-be-the-first-province-to-ban-hellaflush-1609530923/+Luc-A-

Yes, you read correctly. The SAAQ has prohibited you to "hellaflush" your vehicle, even using the term on its website:

Hellaflush

Hellaflush is a practice of cosmetic modifications that comes to the detriment of handling and road holding capabilities which consist of:

• Lowering the suspension of the vehicle
  • Installing oversized and offset wheels (offset greater than of the stock wheels)
  • Installing tires too narrow for the wheels (tire stretching).

These modifications,that affect the geometry of the vehicles suspension, are generally observed by the presence of exaggerated negative camber. This is an overview of the principals of hellaflush and the reason this practice is prohibited.

I'm sorry but there is just something amusing at the thought of an official government body using that word. Their description of what it means is dead on though. Maybe the SAAQ is cooler than we thought? I don't think this is an entirely new law with regard to the tires, but it's the first time I've noticed that particular word on the SAAQ website.

So what does this mean for fans of "stanced" or "hellaflush" vehicles? If you drive on public roads you risk getting sent for inspection. Where the line is between hellaflush and not hellaflush is unclear. The SAAQ just defers to a site called the Tire and Rim Association which is based in the U.S.A. This is something that needs to be resolved.

I guess Earl wont be attending Dubs in Quebec 2018 afterall. 

I read that last night and I actually got a little upset.  I understand the need for regulation to keep people safe from themselves and others but their description is extremely vague in order for this to be regulated fairly.  Does this mean that you cannot install any suspension that lowers a car or is it only to an undefined extreme?  What about lifted trucks?  Those can be more dangerous to other occupants in a crash and they also reduce handling capabilities.  I'm going to stop now before I go on a tangent but I disagree with the wording and the directive of this law.