WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My M42 Carnage...

Derflaminflitzer

This is what happens when your timing chain tensioner takes a shit and you still have to drive the car 45 minutes back home (after 2 hours beating it on the ice with friends). You buy $500 worth of parts to do the timing chain job, this is not even including swapping out all of the gears on the cam, idler and crank...then you pull it all apart to find this.

20140215_205131_zpsmy2t9g6u.jpg

20140215_205118_zpsvrcp8edj.jpg

The idler gear snapped off the back of the timing case and somehow the chain didnt jump...It just proceeded to eat everything in its path. The grooves in the cover are almost all the way through. So with that much metal inside the motor I decided to take the risk of buying a motor off of craigslist and swap that in. I'm glad I have some really good friends that are helping me take care of this...

Hate surprises especially ugly ones.

Reason I asked is my 1991is has been quiet and running fine but I also have no sense of when things were changed last. 235k on the odometer when I bought it last fall and I've tracked down four prior owners going back 8 years to 160k none of which had touched the tensioner, chain, etc. Lower oil pan was clean with no metal or other bits when I replaced it.

• 2 weeks later...