WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New E46 owner Waukesha, wi

Guest mhirsch

Guest mhirsch

Whats up fellas! My names Max just baught my second BMW, 2004 330i zhp will throw some pictures on here soon.

Hate to say it but this car has been nickle and dimming me so far, replaced thermostat, CCV valve, Upper radiator hose, Wheel bearing, idlor tentioner and water pump all within a 3 month period. Im pretty michanically inclinded but dont know a whole lot about the car yet. def. like to do my own work on her though At this rate i will know the engine top to bottom in a few months. Still love the car and not quite ready to give up on it!!

Anyone has any suggestions on things i might need to keep an eye on, things that are known to fail, etc. let me know.

Welcome fellow BMW lover....We all love/hate to spend money on our cars, some of us more than nickel and dimes :).

Make sure regular maintenance is up do date. I don't know the E46's weak points other than what Earl pointed out. They all have their weak points and it's best to know them. I have an extra ECU for each of my E28's. The solder joints tend to crack but is an easy repair at home but not on the road. 

Looking forward to the pictures too  :D

Guest Laishes

Whats up fellas! My names Max just baught my second BMW, 2004 330i zhp will throw some pictures on here soon.

Hate to say it but this car has been nickle and dimming me so far, replaced thermostat, CCV valve, Upper radiator hose, Wheel bearing, idlor tentioner and water pump all within a 3 month period. Im pretty michanically inclinded but dont know a whole lot about the car yet. def. like to do my own work on her though At this rate i will know the engine top to bottom in a few months. Still love the car and not quite ready to give up on it!!

Anyone has any suggestions on things i might need to keep an eye on, things that are known to fail, etc. let me know.

E46s tend to do that...

I would just watch the subframe issues with the E46. If it were my car I would reinforce it. see this thread: http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index.php?/topic/1696-a-note-to-all-e46-owners/

I would replace the entiire coolant system personally if it was my car. Dunno what it is but BMW Engines and proper factory coolant parts don't seem to mix.

I would also rebuild your Vanos at some point. Just google Vanos rebuild kit E46. Theres a few out there and it's been covered many times. Beisian systems and Dr.Vanos seem to be good proven kits though.

http://www.beisansystems.com/

http://www.drvanos.com/