WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Megasquirting the e28 ?s

RamRod E28

Question

I would convert the car to "i" spec and buy a plug and play kit from diyautotune.com or from one of a few guys on the E30 forums that build them into the stock ECU casing like I have. They go by the names whodwho and blueapplesoda on r3vlimited.com 

Once it is converted to "i" spec you need to run a vacuum line to the ECU and then start the car and drive it (assuming the software is ready to go which it should be). 

Then you can make some nice drivability improvements and remove the AFM and get an M50 TPS or whatever other TPS you want to install. MS doesnt care. 

After looking at bassboys MS1 and helping him upgrade it to MS2, building a board by yourself wouldn't necessarily be all that hard, but its nice to know that a professional built and tested it and that it fits where the stock ecu does and plugs in just the same, very convenient!. I didnt want a no-start condition to be caused by my poor soldering skills either.

Gunmetalgrey built his MS3 himself so you can pick his brain about how easy or infuriating the construction is. 

if you want to hack into your harness or make an adapter harness instead of build a board, then what Bassboy did by getting an MS1 box already built (used) for $150 or so, then spending $80ish on the upgrade to MS2 is a definite steal. That works out well for him since its an e21 and doesnt have an existing EFI harness so he has to wire that all himself anyways. 

Rowley,  are you telling me that you can run wasted spark on 1 coil driver?!?!?

Im not doubting or anything, I haven't read up much on alternate ignition setups so I may learn something from you here. 

Oh hey I forgot about ms2 only having one. I have MS3 so I went with the easiest setup... 

650 and worth every penny, I already had a wideband (strongly recommended but not a necessity)

but to be realistic,  a wideband, GM intake temp sensor, bung, misc air intake mods, and M50 TPS + adapter would probably get the total price  around a grand.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=202653

I still have the NA tune on the ECU but it would take a whole 5 minutes to make it work for my new bigger injectors and a turbo (fine tuning required of course). I will probably do that tonight. 

the cost shouldnt freak you out, but one way to look at it is, if your car rusts out, canadians stab it with popsicle sticks, or if earl polishes every bolt on it, you can take the ecu and use it in any other car (monte carlos, bitchin camaros, integras, vw cabriolets etc) as long as you make the appropriate changes in the tune (change number of cylinders  and injector size for example) and adapt the wiring harness to work. 

If I had someone to learn megasquirt from in the first place I could have saved a little money and bought the DIYPNP  assembled ecu from diyautotune.com but I had to figure it out by myself with the internet and whatever infrequent emails or PMs I could receive from others.

The only thing youd be missing by getting a DIYPNP vs one built into a e30 ecu is that whodwho incorporates a circuit in the ecu that allows you to use the stock e30 TPS, but this is not desirable, a variable TPS like what an M50 has is far superior for tuning and running the car. 

You could get the DIYPNP setup with the bosch 55pin harness (stock e30 325i ) so you would just need a 55 pin harness on your car to connect into it, then get aluminum plate, drill some holes in it, mount the ecu to the plate, and the plate to the stock ecu location. 

I actually bought the DIYPNP setup and built it, and then realized I wanted something more universal and have more features. Don't be scared at the wiring and stuff. I would be more scared to build the board! I say you should buy a ms3 and gut an old e28 ecu case if you want it plug and play, and wire the necessary connections to it. I say buy something Pre-assembled. 

I think he means an adapter wiring harness for the ECU.

The harness is really pretty easy to remove and replace. You would need to run high impedence injectors from 325i, The only thing I can think of being different at the moment is the trigger wheel. I am not sure if MS supports the triggerwheel setup that the 'e' motors have. 

BUT 

you could install an 'i' trigger wheel on the crank and just make sure it gets wired into the stock harness correctly