WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E10 Fuel

6670charger

What fuel do those of you with older cars run? I see that premium in the E10 blend is a little cheaper at some locations than regular fuel, but, having a 80's car from when E10 wasn't really around at all, and knowing that it can have negative effects on some engine and fuel supply parts, not sure if I should use it in my 88 or not.

Thoughts?

Check here to see if you live near any ethanol-free gas stations.  http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WI

I am not too concerned with E10 buggering anything up in the fuel system but what really flusters my jimbobs is the reduced performance and mileage from E10 and the whole political background behind it. 
I would rather have pure gasoline for the sake of better performance and mileage moreso than for preserving fuel system components. 

I feel the same way. In addition, the E10 stuff, although a little cheaper, isn't so cheap that it will save more than a few cents per fill up. Although I mentioned the cost earlier, it really wasn't my main concern. Main concern is the welfare of the car. I have two stations relatively near my home that sell premium in non-E10 form, and go to those exclusively for both my E30 and my 66 Dodge which burns premium also.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bigjae1976

Milwaukee County used to be a non-attainment area (high ozone) so you only get reformulated gas in Milwaukee county and south. North of Milwaukee...you can get conventional ethanol free gas. Anything that is 91 octane is most likely ethanol free. Anything that is 93 is blended with ethanol. Major refiners only make pure 91 octane gas since ethanol is now used as a cheap octane booster. Most regular gas is 84-85 octane and uses ethanol to boost it to 87.

+1 on noticeable difference in the quality of shell fuels.

Your Shell gas comes from the same refiners that the Quik Trip gas comes from. The only difference is the additive. There is no Shell refinery around here. In fact, Quik Trip has more additives in it than Shell. Not sure if Shell's additive is more effective...

• 3 weeks later...

That is interesting, and nice to know. I will have to say that my car has run really great every time I've put Shell premium into it. Not sure if the extra octane make the difference or not. If so, then I'm sort of hesitant to run less than 91 in mine. Had an 88 truck a number of years ago that was supposedly tuned to run on 89 octane, but, ran like crap on anything less than 91. Seems there is definitely a difference in fuels between octane ratings.