WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

CL55 AMG > E39 M5

B C

.... at least as far as NY to LA time trials are concerned.

story here:

http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-drove-across-the-u-s-in-a-record-28-h-1454092837

trip_map.jpg

"You might think the hardest part of setting the cross-country driving record is driving across the country. You might think the hardest part is staying awake for more than 24 hours, or constantly keeping your foot on the floor. You might think the hardest part is round-the-clock vigilance for law enforcement. You'd be wrong.

Ed assures me, wholeheartedly, that the most difficult thing about breaking the record was the preparation.

"Every year, Alex [Roy] hears about five to seven attempts to break the record," says Ed, who sought advice from the former recordholder about exactly how to prepare for the trip. "None of the challengers come close."

But that wasn't Ed. Between the 67-gallon gas tank and the CL55's "upper 13s" fuel economy, Ed says he was able to travel more than 800 miles between fuel stops. He removed the rear seat on the driver's side to fit a spare tire, since trunk real estate was reserved for the fuel tanks. And he used the CB radio to pose as a trucker.

"If two trucks were next to one another, we'd call to one of them," he explained. "'FedEx, this is King Trucking. I'm right next to you. Can you tap your brakes so I can get by?' When we sped past, they probably saw the huge antenna on my trunk and got really mad."

Ed Bolian's CL55 AMG:  28 hours 50 minutes

ku-xlarge.png

Bolian-CL55-01.jpg

Alex Roy's M5:  31 hours 17 minutes

teampolizeibmwm5interiorday.jpg

Alex-Roy-M5.jpg

Hey Alex.

its_not_how_you_stand_by_your_car_its_ho