WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

we also need the pedal box as well kind sir so idk what im gonna do about the brakes to get it out lol

You should try to get as much of that stuff out as you can before next Tuesday, then we can get started on the good car then.  I'd be up for starting pretty early.  With a long day we may be close to getting it done.  Probably going to end up swapping everything from the '88 into the '84.  Any other option will need a bunch of different parts/time.  There wasn't much bad on the harness.  And the '88 engine seems like it was taken care of decently.

So after a bit of thinking today this might be really simple.

Swap seta and manual into car using seta harness etc.

In the future find an i cam and springs to swap in to make it an "i stroker"  Am I missing something or is it that simple?  What pistons are ideal?  And the head could also be shaved and worked over as a "next winter" project to raise compression ratio and flow a bit.

Also before you take the parts car down from the stands, get the shifter linkage out, the carrier and shift lever/rubber boot and the wire that goes through it can just come out as one piece.  The clutch master needs to come out too.  Just mentioning what I forgot while we were working on it.

Also you will need the bracket welded to the inside of the transmission tunnel that supports the end opposite of the transmission of the shifter plate. This is what I need to fabricate for my car since previous owner removed it and I forgot to take it off my last E28 before scrapping  :mad:

Did some reading on Strictlyeta.net and the future cam/spring swap is the way to go.  Even better if you can find a hotter than stock cam.  Engine swap coming to a garage near you on Tuesday!  I think with an early start we can get most of it done, I have some leftover seals/shifter parts and stuff from other builds that I will bring in case we need it.

While not the best hp/$ quotient id run a 272 cam with stock compression ratio. As you research you will discover that many people end up with piston to valve interference when the duration gets above 280 degrees. Interference will need to be checked and corrected with an adjustable cam gear. To make proper use of a cam with more lift and duration than the typical 272 will require portwork and an increased redline which will send your mean piston velocities into the "not quite so long lasting" range (The Metric Mechanic 2900 M20 is rated for ~65k-100k mile service life "when driven hard") and the inertial forces increase by the square of the rpm. Going from 4000 rpm to 8000 rpm results in 16 times the tensile stress in the connecting rods and hardware. 

The cost of the tuned length headers, cam, rockers, springs ,cam gear, stroker parts, machine work, and port work, would get you a VERY nice forced induction setup. An extensive NA build and a FI build will both require upgraded EFI and clutch so that is a wash.

NA builds are great, but you become used to the 15-20hp you can gain with reasonable investment quite quickly and to extract more becomes a mechanical and financial domino rally. 

My biggest fear was dumping $8000 into a hot rebuild on an M20, making about 215-225whp, being somewhat underwhelmed with the hp/$ and or dropping a valve/cracking a head/some other mechanical failure rendering it nearly a total loss.

In contrast I could spend $3000 on a FI setup on a stock top and bottom end, make 300-350whp and for the small cost of a used m20, ($800 or less) be back up and running if anything failed. 

And thus you can see why I, eternal lover of the naturally aspirated engine, have caved and decided to do the whole turbo bullcrap thing. 

MASSIVE UPDATE thingy.... so Mr. Menard and I did some major work on the e28 we got the engine and trans out of the blue e28 but it was easier said than done lol. It was a ton more easier to pull the engine out of the parts car due to it having no front end on it and i didn't care if it got banged up or not. here are some pics for your viewing pleasure...

Here she is parked in front of her new heart and soul a 88 super eta i cant wait to see what the higher rev limiter and extra 6hp feel like!!!

F59BA1D2-E13B-48E9-9C2E-C23440797DC7_zps

Some bay shots before we pulled the engine

88F02968-4268-4600-BD27-CD465C468940_zps

Dr. Menard evil bmw scientist lol

3EDBA42A-41C8-4156-933A-E837E1876EA7_zps

Right after this photo was taken I had to get the car off the stands and my jack decided to not wanna lower with the handle so I had to get under the car while it was teetering off only the jack to lower it down nothing like a situation like that to get your adrenaline pumping!

6277BF77-2B95-46CD-937C-0A24AF2C666E_zps

For sale 84 bmw m20b28 eta with 184k on it comes with harness and motronic 1.0 ecu!!! (cough... snap)

3B4EB60C-2517-49BF-99C4-FC97C353D9F0_zps

Such a big ass engine bay

54A91988-E1F8-484E-A8FD-DD4BB16B9E99_zps

I couldn't resist...

71A66E3A-D785-4F8B-8D8C-33A1E058CBFA_zps

54A91988-E1F8-484E-A8FD-DD4BB16B9E99_zps

With the engine out she was sitting at stock height again haha

CB46231E-A6D1-4D78-88EE-299E89F38C99_zps

Ram Powa!!!

040CCBC7-8DFD-4BFC-A0FF-82B8DA56DB51_zps

And now I'm doing all the little piddly detail crap like putting in the manual pedal box and getting the old auto shifter out of the car and cleaning the engine bay up while the engine is out and then I gotta order some new trans mount bushings. new water pump due to the old one was broken off at the impeller when it was in the head on collision. Then get a new timing belt and tensioner the old belt was so bad on the seta that the belt ripped in half with a simple yank! but the car did run like a dream before we pulled it. other odds and ends to get as well. does anyone have any suggestions on what i should upgrade at this stage if im missing anything???

Yea the eta is solid, runs very well.  Lucky that seta didn't break the belt while running, there was a tear halfway across the belt and it just ripped apart when I pulled at it.  Pretty good progress so far, get the parts you need and with another day it should be ready to turn the key!

One only needs to consult with the experts on Yahoo Answers to gain a clear understanding of which is better, carbs or EFI

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080506063936AA8P8CX

Dave87gn: "fuel injection is way better,"

Pedro S: "
carbs r cheap and crude...Fi is better for mileage, engine life but complex and expensive...."

FrdFnatic: "i
f you flip ur car fuel injection will keep it running. carbs wont. so if u plan on flipping ur car i would go with carb"

OK.. so a little status update on the seta swap e28 it may not look like much but just been doing all the piddly odds and ends on the car. I also did spend some time with a can of brakleen in the bay cleaning up any grease or dirt from not seeing the day of light in over 30 years. So without further ado some more pictures.

All this work to add one more pedal!!!

8FC875B5-F527-4005-842A-AF616512963C_zps

Got the steering column back in. which for some reason was a bigger bitch to do that I remember lol

F2A4026A-562C-4578-8C71-155539C418EB_zps

Got the auto shifter out and that was easier said than done you have to almost completely remove the center stack to get its fat ass out of there.

B53C6B17-57B7-42C7-8406-4C5FFF266397_zps

Now just need to order parts and BAM!!! engine and trans are going back in and I will be posting burnout vids as soon as any of the bugs are sorted out.