WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Project Daily iX

alexw

Picked up an 89 iX the other day with a little front end damage. She needs some work, but I thought I'd post up what I have so far.

Condition when I bought it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Damage:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did some work today, removed the front valance, the headlights, grills, the passenger fender and flare... but I totally forgot to take pictures... Whatever...

I also added a Euro Plate filer, and a respect your elders sticker ;)

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Other random images:

Posted Image

(Borbet's, looking to likely off load these soon, IDK)

Posted Image

(screws labeled, because I'll screw the reassembly)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/incider/ef7949de.jpg

(Extras that came with the car)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/incider/d0c1ade1.jpg

(This spoiler is ugly as shit)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/incider/93b66212.jpg

( IS Lip ready for install)

I also have coming in the mail:

-Euro smiles

-DDM 4500K HID's

-Temp Sensor

-PaintScratch.com Alpine White 2 kit, with rust kit

There may be more, and I need to still find a few things... I'll update with pictures as progress is made! Front valance, bumper, and fender are in the paint shop... I have 6 iX wheels that i'm debating on refinishing, or running as is, but i need to find some decent (not too expensive) tires.

Word.

Where are you guys getting the respect your elders stickers? I would like to rock one on my car.

I got my hands full this week working on a bike for a guy, but this weekend I'd like to check it out, let you check out my iXchange articles (lots of helpful tech stuff) and drink your beer. Sound good?

I may have to take a few of you up on the offer to help, we'll see where I'm at when I get the parts out of paint.

I dont think the radiator support was bent, but the part the valance hangs on (and bumper attached to) is a little bent. I'm not overly worried about it though, the car drives straight and I shouldn't have a problem mounting up the "new" body parts.

Im waiting for the weather to break before I do my rust repair/repaint. My mirrors have paint flaking off because of bad prep work. Im also painting my trim strips white too. Should turn out neat. Let me know if you need any help doing fiberglass repair or anything. I also may get the painter here to respray your car for cheap. You'd have to be here for the prep and masking process because thats the biggest pain in the ass. Lemme know because this is a full size drive in paint booth.

• 1 month later...

Where are you guys getting the respect your elders stickers? I would like to rock one on my car.

I want one too..that is awesome. on many levels lol. except I have no bimmer to put it on now :(

• 3 months later...

OK folks, I need help. I'm having some issues:

1) The previous owner (who is on R3v), installed a aftermarket steering wheel. The wheel, or steering column is squeaking like crazy. Though, it is either incredibly bad, or its nonexistent. IDK what the issue is...

2) I had installed a DDM Tuning HID kit, and now the passenger side light won't come on. Before it went off completely, it was flickering and would turn on and off on its own. Loose wire? or something else?

3) I now also have a passenger side running light out, which leads me to believe it may have something to do with the above passenger side head light?

4) I never spliced in (as i didn't have the connectors) high beams. So if anyone has some euro connectors, umm hit a negro up.

5) Previous owner said he was attached to his stereo, so he yanked it out before sale. I have a radio, I just need someone with the know how, and or patients to help me hook it up.. .

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. And I'd be willing to pay in beer, wibimmer cards, or something, if someone wanted to come and fix this shit for me. Because I'm mechanically retarded.

I should mention, the iX is my only vehicle right now, as well, the M3 will be going into storage, but it also just got a freaking flat tire. Being as baller as I am, I do not have a spare tire, let alone a spare set of wheels for the M....

(more info than you all care to know, but -) I plan on picking up a new car in the next month for the wife to drive (no BMW, sorry pals), SO the iX will shortly become my daily driver. So in short, I will be spending more time on and in the car.

Of course, though it's not going anywhere with a flat tire...

How far from Kenosha are you?

As far as the hid's go, if they work, great, if not, I be fine with regular H1's, but I have no connectors (including high beams).

If I could just get all my lights to work, I could care less about the stereo. I'll have some pimple faced bestbuy kid do it. I just don't want to get hassled by the coppers if I don't have working lights.

The steering wheel thing is anoying as fuck but that won't get me stopped by the police.

Well it wasn't done pretty but, last night a buddy and I fixed:

Both low beams

Both fog lamps

A passenger side turn signal (front)

A rear running light

And I caught a blown fuse which had killed the heater..

Productive night, next time I'm off I will tackle the radio install, throw on the snow tires and do an oil change. Should be good to go then!