WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Fan delete!

patsbimmer1

Well not your typical fan delete mod tonight. My car decided to initiate it's own self delete on hwy 100 tonight on my way home from work. By some miracle nothing was destroyed. I believe the fan exploded as a result of my water pump self detonating as well. So here begins my fan delete/ water pump replacement so I can work tomorrow!

I have a viscous coupling and fan blade from my E30. I am not sure if they are a direct fit for an E36 but I am just throwing that out there in case it does fit and you need them in a pinch.

and FYI quite a lot of E30/E36 guys run without a fan at all with no problem. So if you can at least just get the water pump situated then you should certainly be in good shape to get around,

Best of luck with the replacement and dont forget to bleed the system!

I know it sucks, but it was a amusing to read, if that's any consolation.

Yea, I couldn't help but laugh as I'm sitting in an O'reilly's parking lot picking out pieces of my fan so they wouldn't rub on the belt so that I could limp her home. I was planning on doing the fan delete eventually but just not this soon. Like they say, if it's got tits or a motor it'll give ya problems.

I have a viscous coupling and fan blade from my E30. I am not sure if they are a direct fit for an E36 but I am just throwing that out there in case it does fit and you need them in a pinch.

and FYI quite a lot of E30/E36 guys run without a fan at all with no problem. So if you can at least just get the water pump situated then you should certainly be in good shape to get around,

Best of luck with the replacement and dont forget to bleed the system!

Thanks man I appreciate the offer! I'm just going to run with no fan for now and water wetter in the coolant for some extra protection. Unfortunately like most E36 guys this ain't my first rodeo into the cooling system and I learned the hard way that there is a very SPECIFIC way to bleed the system on an E36. Appreciate the reminder though.