WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E32 740iL Misfire

Guest takedown

Question

Guest takedown

Ive owned a couple bmw's before e30 318i, e28 533i and 535i but never an e32 7 series so this world is new to me. I took the gamble and traded away my 98 jetta k2 for it with the m60b40 v8 two days ago and it had a bad misfire right off the bat.

I did some diagnosing last night and this is what I came up with. Did a compression test to find out the the lowest came to a 146 and the highest to a 160 but most of them at around 150ish psi. So Im ruling out compression loss. I changed the plugs because they were dirty as hell and old so Im ruling out plugs.

Now its down to either the injector or a coil pack but Im not sure on what cylinder? Ive never done ohm testing on coils or injectors before so this is new to me.

What is the acceptable range for the coils and injectors to be in between? And any other tips to help getting my boat running properly would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys! (Pics of it below!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

18 answers to this question

Guest takedown

Another day another dollar into the e32.. By the way guys I did some more diagnosing today and found out I do infact have a dead coil pack. Im 99% sure of it. So I took the gamble and rush ordered a beck-arnley coil pack replacement and a set of 10 int cluster bulbs. Hoping this all pays off in the end!

Edited by takedown

Guest takedown

By the way guys I did some more diagnosing today and found out I do infact have a dead coil pack. Im 99% sure of it. So I took the gamble and rush ordered a beck-arnley coil pack replacement. Now Im hoping for the best.