WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

What would you pay?

teatoe993

I have a lead on an all original 1990 325is that might be available. The car is black on black with 140-something miles on it. Over $7000 has been spent on it the past couple years. New cat, steering rack, mounts, brakes, front end stuff, etc. Interior has aged nicely and no cracks in the dash. Heated seats too! Body and underneath is solid except for rust at the rear tow hook and a little on the rockers. Haven checked in the trunk yet. A used cylinder head was put on it a couple years ago. But now there is a severe oil leak at the head apparently. I don't know the specifics yet but my guess is it's gonna need a new head. The owner is giving up on putting any more money into the car and wants to unload it. I'm wondering what a fair price would be to offer this guy. I don't need the car whatsoever but I think I can get it for a great deal. And my brother in California is interested in it because he doesn't like the 1985 325e that I found for him a couple months ago. He might want to trade. Do you think an offer between $1000-$2000 would be fair? I don't want to insult the guy, but I don't know how much work I'm gonna have to put into this thing to get it back on the road.

If I end up passing on getting this car, I'll make sure to let you guys know the contact info of the seller because I am sure one of you would love to have it.

yea seriously...i bought an extra clean 91 4door with wheels, suspension, full sound system, crack free dash, and plenty more goodies on it. only problem was that there was a broken rocker arm. BUT i paid $600 for the whole thing, bought a head from someone on R3V for $50 swapped it on and bam.

yea seriously...i bought an extra clean 91 4door with wheels, suspension, full sound system, crack free dash, and plenty more goodies on it. only problem was that there was a broken rocker arm. BUT i paid $600 for the whole thing, bought a head from someone on R3V for $50 swapped it on and bam.

I would have just built the valve train at that point. But then again. I'm a valve train whore....

'severe oil leak at the head' is very vague, but probably doesnt mean the head is bad. it could be one of the main seals, missing oil plugs, or a really bad valve cover gasket. it could definitely be a lot of work to fix it. but offering the guy 1k would be a slap in the face. honestly, i'd have it looked at by a mechanic if you dont know what your looking at, and go from there. if its as nice as it sounds, with good recent maintenance, its a $3,200+ car. subtract what it will take to fix and youll be in the ballpark

guys think they should pay nothing for an e30, but when they want to sell them they wonder why they cant get diddly squat for them.

i sold my 1987 325is with lots of rust, crap wheels/tires, mediocre interior, and a bad head (overheating) for $1600 and it sold in one day at that price.

Guest quillbro

I have watched the prices religiously on e30s over the past 15 years or so... I have owned 4 of them...which isnt alot compared to some e30 whores out there.

But its obvious that they are garnering collectible status, and more of a cult following every year. If its as nice as you say I think its definitely worth checking out. Maybe he will let you pull the head in his garage on your time before you make an offer on it? Wouldn't take long to see whats going on in there.