WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

possible oil in air filter

dirty30

I have not had much time to go through my E30 but when I checked the air filter I noticed on almost half of it that it had a dark residue on it, front and back. I am almost sure it is oil but I was also wondering how this would have gotten here and possible solution.

Thanks!

The pcv system on an m20 consists of a baffle in the valve cover that leads to the vent hose which enters the throttle body through a heated port in an attempt to keep crankcase gasses in vapor form long enough to pull them through the engine. During idle, the engine may be venting more vapor than the engine can pull into the engine with the throttle plate closed and it may begin to condense or accumulate on the "floor" of the throttle body which then drips through the intake plumbing into the filter.

Depending on who you ask, they might tell you "oh, thats excess blowby and you need a rebuild" tell them to bugger off

But really, unless you are planning on keeping the car factory stock then id suggest running a catch can