WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Who has chipped their ECU?

6670charger

Question

8 answers to this question

I have driven cars with the conforti chip, dinan chip, and ran the MarkD chip for 3 years on my car. They all benefit the car and are a worthwhile purchase. There is no part throttle fueling change and I doubt that any of the chips change the part throttle timing advance so your mileage will stay the same as before. There is more top end timing advance which is noticable from 4500+

Although only the MarkD chip is advertised as having an option for 19# injectors, I strongly recommend running a set of rebuilt stock M50 17# injectors. M20 is 14.5# @ 3 bar

The 17# M50s are at 3.5 bar so they end up being just about the same.

Having some fresh injectors will be beneficial but having a much improved design with better atomization will net you more power and fuel economy.

Check out Maks Injection for low prices M50 injectors. They are very worthwhile.

I can tell you that the ignition maps on the MarkD chip are quite well optimized. When I switched to megasquirt it took me a lot of tuning to bring my car back to the same power level I had with the MarkD chip

Cool. Was wondering what might happen. I had a 87 Monte Carlo years ago with a 5.0 V8 and 4sp overdrive. The stock setup was a real dog, and changing to 15" rims from 14" killed my fuel economy, although improved handling. I put an aftermarket chip in that car, and although I didn't feel any great gain in power, it did seem to restore most of the 7mpg drop in gas mileage the new tires/rims had caused. Although I'm not disappointed in the 30/31 I get on the highway with the E30 now, another 2-3mpg certainly wouldn't hurt matters any with all the driving I do for work now. I also wouldn't complain about a little more power either.