WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'08 535xi Coolant light on and running very rough & NOT DRIVEABLE

FullThrottle e46

(My Mom's car) This all began last week when the crazy cold set in. Coolant light came on and started running rough. It didn't overheat. I was only 1/4 mi away from her condo so it wasn't driven far. Checked level and was just below min. Added small amount of 50/50. It started fine then but had a somewhat brief minimal rough idle. 4-5 days later I went to leave and it immediately was really rough and sputtering and the coolant light came on right away. No overheat. I was only 300ft away from the driveway and it wasn't easy to get it back there because it stalled a few times. Coolant level was fine and no visible leak or residue evidence from what I could view around the expansion tank. I tried to start it yesterday and it started but was still running very rough and there was some smoky exhaust briefly. It isn't driveable. :o

All knowledge and comments are most welcome!

**We need some additional trusted repair shop referrals in the Madison/immediate surrounding area. The few shops we know of/use are booked til after Thanksgiving. : /

Although it could be many different things, it could be a bad head gasket. Both times it has happened to me it had very similar symptoms. No overheating, just rough running. While not the most convenient thing to do; draining some coolant from the engine and letting it settle in a transparent container for a few hours will generally reveal if the head gasket is bad and oil+coolant are mixing as you will see oil droplets or a distinct layer of oil on top of the coolant

So it would need to be put up on a hoist to access/open the the drain plug in the bottom of the expansion tank to drain some coolant out? A head gasket replacement is a pricey repair, right? We (I) do have a reputable mechanic I was referred to by a former BMW tech of 15 yrs and he said he'd be fine with installing our own parts.

Yes, if it is a head gasket it can be quite an involved repair. 
Capturing some of the coolant should not require a lift, just a jack and jackstands. The ideal location to drain coolant from would be from the engine block drain plug (if that engine has one), otherwise a lower radiator hose is fine. By doing this there is a small risk that an air pocket will form in the cooling system that will need to be bled out, but in most cases the air bubble shouldnt be trapped. 

The mechanic you have a connection with may have the tools/willingness to do a cylinder leak-down test or some more official method for diagnosing the problem as a bad head gasket, but for someone like myself, this is a quick and easy way.

I can't imagine it's the head gasket. I obviously just have very rudimentary knowledge about this but her car is impeccably taken care of and currently has 92K on it.

One more thing, I don't know if this is related but for the past 2 months there has been some "hiccuping" on acceleration after it has sat overnight. It's as if the car hasn't warmed up yet and you feel like you should step on the gas more, for lack of a better explanation.

Well...we don't have the diagnosis yet : (

It was towed to the shop yesterday and the mechanic said he'd let my Mom know by then end of the day today. I take it a water pump job will be less costly than a head gasket? Are replacement water pumps usually refurbished and not new due to cost? Please educate. Thanks everyone!

Well...we don't have the diagnosis yet : (

It was towed to the shop yesterday and the mechanic said he'd let my Mom know by then end of the day today. I take it a water pump job will be less costly than a head gasket? Are replacement water pumps usually refurbished and not new due to cost? Please educate. Thanks everyone!

if its the head gasket then you all owe me a muffin. 

I still am confused about why the coolant light was on (no overheat). There wasn't any coolant on the ground or a leak. The level in the expansion tank was at the lower ball which is the minimum. Besides running very rough out of nowhere it would barely idle and was stalling. The mechanic said it started for him (naturally!) and it ran so he drove it around for about 8mi. So what does the coolant light have to do with the fuel injector problem, or doesn't it?

The coolant light and after it first came on I checked the level in the expansion tank (engine was cold-car had been in garage 24hrs prior). The bobber's top ball was not quite level with the top of the opening of the expansion tank (indicating that it was not quite at the minimum level that it should be). So I added 50/50 up to the max indicator (where the lower ball on the bobber is level with the top of the opening of the expansion tank opening). Then I started it and it was a rough cold start and everything was fine for a few days. I went to start it after it had been in the garage for 24hrs and was even more rough and no sooner than I was 40ft away from the garage the coolant light came on and it was barely idling and stalled. So I got it back to the driveway, which was difficult and it was barely idling. Since the engine was cold I checked the coolant level in the expansion tank and it was at the max. The coolant was still on. There was no visible leak on the garage floor or anywhere under the hood all around the expansion tank and hoses..etc.

The coolant light and after it first came on I checked the level in the expansion tank (engine was cold-car had been in garage 24hrs prior). The bobber's top ball was not quite level with the top of the opening of the expansion tank (indicating that it was not quite at the minimum level that it should be). So I added 50/50 up to the max indicator (where the lower ball on the bobber is level with the top of the opening of the expansion tank opening). Then I started it and it was a rough cold start and everything was fine for a few days. I went to start it after it had been in the garage for 24hrs and was even more rough and no sooner than I was 40ft away from the garage the coolant light came on and it was barely idling and stalled. So I got it back to the driveway, which was difficult and it was barely idling. Since the engine was cold I checked the coolant level in the expansion tank and it was at the max. The coolant was still on. There was no visible leak on the garage floor or anywhere under the hood all around the expansion tank and hoses..etc.