WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

94 325I E36 Rear shocks leak instantly

Guest andrew4g63

Question

Guest andrew4g63

I have a 94 325i in our shop and we keep replacing the rear shocks because they leak.  We started with KYB (#KG9136) and they lasted for about a year.  The customer has a no leak rule at her condo and was notified of fluid drips in her driveway.  The shocks were under warranty so we replaced them.  A month went by and the right rear was dripping again.  At this time we figured there was an issue and found the rust old coil springs were lowering springs.  KYB tech line said it may be causing them to bottom out on the seal.  I called Billstein and they gave me a number (#24-027250) for their shocks that are made for lowered cars.  Installed the Billsteins test drove and in under 5 miles they both are dripping.  We compared the ride height to a know 1.5 inch drop E36 and are now lost.  Any ideas???  I am now in a bind now because the customer has had our loaner car for over two weeks and i cannot give the car back unrepaired.

13 answers to this question

Guest andrew4g63

Update: The owner of the Mueller Motorwerks, who provided the struts called and told me how the shocks and struts (from Bilstein and Koni) will be over full with fluid and after a short drive they will leak.  Wash them and test drive again and they should be fine.  I will post the results.  

Guest andrew4g63

So i have washed them and driven the vehicle multiple times and the fluid is still coming out.  It is not as much as before but maybe because they are running out of fluid?  I also agree in my 15-20 years in auto parts, repair and management iv'e never heard of this.

I know that Toyota has a "tolerance" for seeping/ leaking struts/shocks and bases most of their replacement recommendations on mileage.  I always based recommendations on mileage and visual inspection.  I have never heard of an aftermarket saying that it is normal to have any seepage immediately after replacing a shock or strut.