WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BMW Bushing Puller Tool Needed

BMWben

Strange first post, as I've not gotten around to introducing myself first...

Anyway, I'm going to have a go at making / using one of these soon:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1389953-A-better-subframe-bushing-puller

I don't know what your schedule is for the work, but I'd be happy to lend it to you once I'm done.

Well I'm the first that gets to say welcome! Thanks for the offer as well. What car are you going to be using this on and what job? I'm going to be out of town next week so I won't be doing anything for a while still. Where are you from? I'm living in Milwaukee during the week right now. 

Well I'm the first that gets to say welcome! Thanks for the offer as well. What car are you going to be using this on and what job? I'm going to be out of town next week so I won't be doing anything for a while still. Where are you from? I'm living in Milwaukee during the week right now. 

I'm in Shorewood.   I'll be replacing the subframe bushing's on my 88' e30 cabrio.    I'm still sorting pics, but if you want to see some from our road trip bringing it back, you can find some on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram under #redbird2wi  (my brother took the pics).

Here's the twitter link: https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=%23redbird2wi&src=typd

I'll PM you once i have the tool made.   If you are around MKE, you're welcome to pop over to see if / how it works.

I'm living in Cudahy and I work at Shorewood High School guarding at the pool. I will have to stop by and check out the car, looks really nice from the pictures. Honestly if you don't mind or want, I could help out with doing your subframe or at least see how the job is done. Give me at least a slight idea of what the hell I'm doing :P plus its always great to put forum names to faces. I'm going to be doing the subframe bushing on my e34 540i but like I said I'm gone next week but maybe we can work something out, if your up for it of course. 

What a welcome!   You guys are more than welcome to come over and make fun of me while I break my car :)

I'll PM you both once I figure out timing of stuff, but about a week sounds right. I've got two young kids that dictate when I work on the thing.  FWIW, I'm going to try to do the bushings without dropping the subframe, per the thread I posted above.  Even if you guys are planning on dropping your subframe, the tool should work the same either way.

An air chisel works really well for removing the outer metal sleeve too. Both of you are upgrading to poly bushings I would assume? They last forever so I see no reason to use OEM=) Also, they are easier to install and they stiffen up the rear a nice amount. I put poly in my compact and my e34 has all poly rear bushings and it feels excellent. 

An air chisel works really well for removing the outer metal sleeve too. Both of you are upgrading to poly bushings I would assume? They last forever so I see no reason to use OEM=) Also, they are easier to install and they stiffen up the rear a nice amount. I put poly in my compact and my e34 has all poly rear bushings and it feels excellent. 

Aren't poly's pretty noisy / harsh?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update the thread.   I finally carved out some time, and replaced the bushings without removing subframe or the bolts using the techinques in the link I posted earlier.

I didn't take any pics of the process, but it was very straight forward.  The only think I'll add to the above is that if you need to replace the plate washers that sit on top of the bushings, you might have to remove the subframe bolts to install them.

So,  I've now got a homemade bushing puller thing that I'll happily loan out to whoever for the cost of shipping.  It took me about an hour to make the tool, but I was trying to be carefull to get as good a fit as reasonable without going totally anal-rententive.

I'll start a new thread about how I'd like the loaning process to go, and what other tools you'll need to do the job.

It might... My guess it would depend if the bushing is seized onto the bolt / frame of the car.  Then again, if it's not a vert, you could probably remove the bolts and then get a saw in there to remove whatever the tool didn't remove.

It's worth a shot... worst case, you'd just pull the subframe anyway.

But... If your subframe bushings are that bad, your trailing arm bushings are probably shot too.  You'd probably save time by removing the subframe and doing both jobs at once.

• 3 weeks later...

Well borrowed Ben's tool, and no success for me. Puller and heat and all I accomplished was bending the outer metal lip of the subframe bushing. Short of pulling the subframe which I really don't have time or the inclination to do, any suggestions on options? I was able to knock out the long bolt. Thanks.   

Thanks. I used a drill and hole saw to clear most of the rubber. Metal center though looks to be stuck to the body. The outer sleeve is stuck to the subframe tube. Car is on jack stands so not enough height to use the sawzall. Any other suggestions ? Starting to see why folks drop the subframe to do this.