WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Cosmos Resurrection

mkoepp

Dont scrap the core support, could sell that for $100 if its clean.

From what ive ready on mye28 its pretty difficult to get the m30 with trans in/out. Motor is much taller than a M20, needs more swing down low.

Mike the garage looks great! Must've sold the trans am and i like that plate on the wall :) that hoist is a tank.

Where do I cut to make it usable?

radsupport_zpsf5468d54.jpg

If you look at the parts diagram you can see how it should be cut off. Basically it will be flat across the back as you should cut it where it meets the inner fender.

Also I'd like the rear shift plate support off this! I could bring a dremel if you dont have one.

I have a cutoff wheel that should work. I have not had much time but I should be able to get it off by Saturday. I will let you know.

Do you still plan to have this car running and driving for the meet Saturday? 

I wish :(

Responsibility has kept me out of the garage. I am working my butt off to keep it from becoming a winter project. All is good though. I have some transmission seals ordered. Once I drop the suspension and get the cosmos in the work bay it will all be downhill. Working with 30 year old rusted bolts is a challenge to say the least. PB blaster and time have made it possible.

If you look at the parts diagram you can see how it should be cut off. Basically it will be flat across the back as you should cut it where it meets the inner fender.

Also I'd like the rear shift plate support off this! I could bring a dremel if you dont have one.

I did get the support off last night. 

A mixture of acetone and ATF works very well for loosening bolts, and is cheap.

The input seal and the shift rod seal on the trans is easy to do, the output shaft you need to pull the flange off, follow torque specs carefully when reinstalling, it is preloading the output shaft bearing.

Just got my Snap-On torque wrench calibrated for this swap. I was disappointed  at the cost of $70. It did not feel right and that is why I sent it in. They did not state any repairs on the invoice but if feels spot on again :). I have used this same wrench for over 30 years and I don't know when my dad actually purchased it. We have always treated it with "kid gloves" and has worked great. I believe this is the first time it has been back to Snap-On.

Thanks for the nut buster info. I have not heard of that before but am willing to try it. I think I have everything covered for this job but you know how that goes. 

• 2 months later...

Way to many things to list. I want to get it running soon but I am not in a hurry. Now that I have the room I need to give the 528e "Niles" some TLC. I plan upper control arms, diff mount and CSB just to keep it riding well. I have all the parts so it's just a matter of time. I just picked up a set of 15" BBS style ?? with really good tires. It rides like a totally different car! 

post-3341-0-02385900-1419353384_thumb.jp

post-3341-0-10247500-1419353390_thumb.jp

Glad to see an e28 on the road. Do all e28s have medium case or are some large case diffs?

As far as I know only the M5 and the M535 have the large diff.

So you scrapped both the white and the blue e28s?!

I only sent the white one to the yard. It had all the goodies to put on the 535 nearly rust free "cosmos". The 528e SETA(the one pictured above) is the winter beater. I am driving that baby into the ground. $500 eight years ago and still going. Better than a Timex! 

Need a super eta brake booster?! I'm ur man!

I am going to do the switch when the 528e is parted. Hydro boost is okay as long as it does not leak. The setup I have now has been rebuilt and leak free. 

Merry Christmas Eve Eve :)

From what I've read I think those are the only non-medium case diff cars too. Glad to see the progress! Hopefully we can park next to each other in the spring :D

I still have your fenders and hood. I have not made my mind up on the moon roof though. Are you still interested? I have been thinking of that harness more and more these days.

I still have your fenders and hood. I have not made my mind up on the moon roof though. Are you still interested? I have been thinking of that harness more and more these days.

Yes sorry the truck has received a new fuel system so I haven't had a way to pick that stuff up! I don't know what I wanna do haha but we can work something out.

• 4 weeks later...

I do not have much progress to update here.....

The Seta has been giving me shit...

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130905

I want the diff, motor and trans in this week.....nice weather :)

I did pick up some e34 heated comforts and side skirts

post-3341-0-69970300-1421613703_thumb.jp

post-3341-0-11500800-1421613747_thumb.jp

And a BBS rear valance

post-3341-0-57714200-1421613875_thumb.jp

I also found a front valance in hellrot (no pics)....I am going to paint that black and install. The front IS spoiler will cover it but black is better that red on a cosmos car. I will get it painted professionally when I do the skirts and rear valance.

More to come......

I like that rear valance, is the exhaust cutout centered or offset? On Mike Ramsey's car we made the exhaust come out centered which was a bit tricky. Sent from my potato phone

I looked center but I will check later this afternoon. If I remember correctly it looked modified a bit in that area. I will take some better pics too. Shame on me for not even cleaning it up a bit.