WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BMW I3! In the flesh

I love my E39

So I will do my best to keep this updated with info. So for those of you that don't already know I work for a large towing company out of the Madison/Milwaukee Areas and I just had a special Delivery setup for the 24th. We will be transporting two BMW I3s. First stop is Madison for Test drives at Zimbrick then we are transporting them up to Appleton for more test drives. I will do my best to get pictures and info on them once we get there. =D 

• 4 weeks later...

Can't say that I'm all that interested in electrics just yet. They sound great in theory, but, the battery tech just isn't there yet. In addition, the infrastructure to support the wide spread use of them just doesn't exist right now in most parts of the country. I can see where they might be useful in large cities, but, it will be years before they attain mainstream usefulness or acceptance. 

The good thing is that they probably stand the best chance for success now than at any other time in history. A lot of people are working on it, so it's just a matter of time before someone figures it all out. Elon Musk seems to have a good start. We'll see how things progress.

Forgot to post here to but I saw an i3 at the Milwaukee Auto Show. I can't say I was amazed by it but I'd take one over a smart car if I had to make the choice. 

Last week I was in talking with one of the owners of Concours BMW who just got back from the BMW sales convention in Las Vegas. He showed me cool pictures of the carbon fiber shells and drivetrains for the i3 and I8 and told me some stuff he learned. BMW is still staying pretty quiet about the details even to dealers, so I'm thinking this car is being rushed into production. One thing he was trying to get answers on was what the winter performance would be like here in WI and they wouldn't give any answers :( He's also has no idea how the extended range vehicle loaner program is gonna work out.