WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E36 No start!

quick_shift95'

Question

Went to start my 325 in the garage the other day and it cranked, turned over and wouldn't start! It started fine the day before so I suspected a weak battery so I got a new one and still wouldn't fire up! Then I read that the fuel pump relay can go bad causing no starts, replaced that and could feel the fuel pump run with one hand while I turned the key with the other. Still no start. Just cranks and cranks. 

What I haven't tried yet:

Testing for spark, I will probably do this tonight by pulling out a coil and sticking a plug in it then cranking the engine

Crank shaft position sensor, if these go bad the DME won't have to proper input to control spark timing correct?

If there is anything else I haven't thought of let me know! Thanks. If I get this resolved I might do a write up for people who run into it in the future depending on how odd the problem was!

5 answers to this question

If possible, reduce the air gap between the crank position sensor and check the wiring for breaks. Im not sure about wire routing on 24v engines, but in the M20  it routes between the pullies and can easily be worn through by a pulley if the retaining clip is not in place. 

With as cold as it is, it may not be getting enough cold start enrichment so the coolant temp. sensor should be checked. 

You are right about it not getting spark if the ecu doesn't receive any timing data from the CPS.