WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E36 Rear Wheel Bearings

jc43089

Question

13 answers to this question

Hmm, yea I don't want to buy another cable.  I got the hub out no problem with a slide hammer.  The axle is out and I tried the slide hammer on the bearing but it wouldn't budge.  Ended up cutting a groove in the outer race with a die grinder and cutoff wheel.  With some hammering and a chisel a chunk broke out and cut the back of my hand pretty good so that was the end of working on it until Monday when I am off work again.  A little more cutting and it should come out.  How did you reinstall the bearings?

The cable has little chance of coming out of the trailing arm once it is that stuck. You could always detach the cable from the handbrake lever and pull it all of the way through. It would take a bit of work, but might be the best option.

That's what I was trying to confirm, thanks.  I almost have the bearing cut through so I will just get it out that way.  What methods have you guys used to reinstall?

Looks good, I will do that.  Also going to try using a larger brake cylinder hone to clean up the trailing arm bore before putting it in.  Hopefully I will be done with this car on Monday, I need to get it back to the owner and help him get his e30 back together so he can break it in before winter.