WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

5 Speed Conversion--Any Shops in the MKE area?

jimmyv65

Question

Gents,

I've been lurking here for a while and having fun reading your posts. I am an old guy(47), but a car guy. The enthusiasm you guys have for your car is great and you clearly like to have a laugh along the way. Some of your posts are down right hilarious. You guys all are on drugs right? :)

My son is 16 and we got him an 88 325. It's a well maintained car in nice shape, but an automatic. I'd like to start looking at the 5 speed swap.

He and I are working on a restore of a 1966 Ford Bronco. I kinda have a rule that I try not to have more than one big project running at a time. 

With that, are there any shops in town that specialize in e30's and would be good for a 5 speed swap?

TIA

12 answers to this question

I have done a 5spd swap on an E30. 

it is quite easy actually. I would be happy to give you guys any tips and pointers along the way if you choose to do it yourself. I haven't really heard of a particular shop that does swaps but Kummrow automotive specializes in German car repair and might be more apt to that kind of project. 

I have done a 5spd swap on an E30. 

it is quite easy actually. I would be happy to give you guys any tips and pointers along the way if you choose to do it yourself. I haven't really heard of a particular shop that does swaps but Kummrow automotive specializes in German car repair and might be more apt to that kind of project. 

I'd ask a basic question that I don't seem to find the answer in the swap threads on other sites:

What years/models are acceptable for the swap? Can the M/T come from an E36, E46, etc?

You can use any year of 2wd E30 with an M20 whether its an 86 325es, 92 325ic, 91 325i  etc. The 325e stuff is less desirable since it has the sheetmetal shift console.  The E36 trans can be used but would require a custom trans. crossmember due to the M50 sitting at a steeper angle than the M20. A 6spd trans from an E46 can also be fitted to an M20 with custom crossmember. There is a member named "Wanganstyle" on r3vlimited who is running an M20 with 6spd and claims there is an OE crossmember which is a direct fit for this. 

Is there any plan to swap engines in the future? That decision will determine which trans to use. 

Agreed that the swap doesn't look too terrible. I was hoping to avoid taking it on with another project in flight, but that doesn't look to be the

case.

I think I will begin collecting up the parts. When I get the parts all together, it looks like it can be done in a day. 

Thanks for your thoughts.