WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

backyard mechanic hack job!!

Guest SneezinM3

Guest SneezinM3

So i recently got this m3 last week. And my parts finally came in for the center support and bearing and the flex joint for driveline.

I go to replace them both yesterday, which btw i read all kinds of how tos and what now( this is my first bmw and first time working on one) and everyone said it was a pain to do these jobs, which in fact was super easy!!

Any ways. So the guy i vot this m3 told me he put a temp. center support in..so ok i order the oarts they come in and i go to remove the old flex joint and center support..and this is what i found

I have never in my life actually seen something so rigged and retarded. Now mind you i have owned oh well over 100 neons. A couple handfuls of s13's-s14's few toyota cressidas. I mean i have had many cars and this is beyond anything i have seen some people do!

20130604_125157_zps067769ed.jpg

20130604_125207_zpsa76656d5.jpg

The previous owner had welded some nuts to the OUTSIDE OF THE BEARING SHELL TO THE INSIDE OF THE CENTER SUPPORTA.....WHAT !! What in hell was going thru this guys head!?!?!

Also here is the flex joint that i also replaced

20130604_124729_zps7f6bad58.jpg

20130604_135327_zpsbf2a6776.jpg

Annndd car back on the ground fixed..awaiting my new shifter cable should be here today!

20130603_175032_zps9678249c.jpg

Guest SneezinM3

Well, the vibrations were to a minimal. Barely felt anything. Although i heard it and staryed getting louder day by day. I drove it for sbout a week with those hack parts on ( not knowing it was that bad ). I mean to me. The guy spent the time taking the center support off to weld. Why not just order one ys knkw!!!

As for the "fur" looking material. Guibo's have thin strands of rope/cord inside of them. When inslecting a guibo you with either see cracking or what you see in mine is the rope coming apart or you will see both..immediatly replace if you do. The noise i was hearing was coming from the guibo.

Suspenceful- are you talking about the chome trim around the ceenter grill section? If soo good idea.

Any other advice is much appreciated. Ordering raceland coilovers hopfully friday and then will start prdering and gathering parts slowely for the e46 m3 6spd trans swap i plan on doing over winter!

Suspenceful- are you talking about the chome trim around the ceenter grill section? If soo good idea.

Any other advice is much appreciated. Ordering raceland coilovers hopfully friday and then will start prdering and gathering parts slowely for the e46 m3 6spd trans swap i plan on doing over winter!

Yes, I'm talking about that chrome trim.

What suspension is on the car currently?  It looks a lot lower than stock.  I've been looking at Racelands myself for my cheap daily.

Guest SneezinM3

I was told when i bought it that it was on hr springs. But come to find out they are cut i beleive. Im fixing things as i go. I ordered a used shift cable. Guy sent me wrong onne. So i just ordered one from the dealer in milwaukee and am having it overnighted. Tomaro that will be fixed. Then i will be ordering racelands

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...