WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

my 1990 325iS Build. Doc. Whatever you wanna call it.

andyhundley

So i picked this car up in madison last friday from a guy that i sold it to a few years back.  Originally I bought the car in Austin Tx back in 08 and had it for about 3 years. As soon as i signed the title over i instantly regretted it. He gave me a call about a month ago asking if i wanted to buy it back so i sold my 89 iX and here we are. 

The day I picked it up. The girl friend, clearly stoked with me buying another car.

null-8.jpg

The car needs some work but the body is in really good shape 99% rust free! Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics

null-1-1.jpg

null-2-1.jpg

null-4.jpg

Except for the rear bumper.

null-5.jpg

The car was absolutely filthy so i spent about 3 hours taking the interior about and cleaning it up.

null-1.jpg

null-6.jpg

And the seats came out...

null-4-1.jpg

null-3-3.jpg

The carpet looks ten times better but probably could use a shampoo job or possibly be dyed black. If anybody has any experience with this feel free to chime in. 

null-2-2.jpg

null-7.jpg

The PO parked under a bunch of trees so there was dirt all over the car. So next was the grille.

null-1-3.jpg

null-3-4.jpg

null-2-3.jpg

Overall i was happy with the progress i made for the day. i would have done more but it was raining buckets that day. 

Next on the list were the tires. The previous owner sold me the car on 195/75 snow tires (seen in previous photos) that were the definition of monster truck status. A coworker had a set of 185/60r14's on his stock miata wheels. I know they are kind of undersized but i needed tires and he sold them to me for a good price. They look so tiny!

null-1-4.jpg

null-2-4.jpg

null-3-5.jpg

Thats all for now. As far as plans go for it, i just want to fix a few things on it to make it a reliable daily for the summer like the t-belt, a new shifter, an iS lip and a euro rear plate filler.

Thanks for looking.

thanks guys. it still needs alot of work but its worth the effort. does anybody have anyone they would recommend to adjust my valves? my car sounds like a sewing machine thats 3 quarts low on oil. i asked matt at matts foreign car in tosa he gave me a quote as if he were doing a motor swap/parts and labor. haha that guy is good but holy hell is he high on drugs!

A valve adjustment is a matter of 30 minutes, a set of feeler gauges, and a new valve cover gasket+rocker shaft plugs. 

Between having a newborn and buying a house I cannot figure out when I would be able to help you but I would be happy to help and could give you instructions over the phone if needed. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So heres a small update but nothing too exciting. I ordered tie rod assemblies, an inner door handle, a lower temp thermostat and a valve cover gasket so i can adjust my valves. I also picked up an iS lip from Jake. I painted the grille so the lip would match. Here is a bad pic that i took without any sun light of my car with said lip. If anybody has a set of kidneys they would like to sell PM me. Mine are in terrible shape.

6fd29c70-0843-408a-9fc4-449d45980d5f.jpg

• 9 months later...

I haven't updated this since last year because my photobucket wouldn't upload photos from my phone. I've done a lot of boring maintenance in the past month since pulling it out of storage. I'll post a everything I've done so far this weekend. This is the way it sits as of now. u6y4azyv.jpg