WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E46 Rust Repair

need4speed1299

I had a rust bubble and a ding on the quarter of my E46. I figured I would take the best method to removing it. Sand blast. Heres what the bubble looked like.

Posted Image

Weapon of choice. Speedblaster with recovery.

Posted Image

Here it is with a quick blast and sanding. It is important to not stop here. The blackness is rust.

Posted Image

Feather edged lightly and blasted away.

Posted Image

The little dinger.

Posted Image

Filler was drying. Checked the codes and got this?? I couldnt get into my ABS/DSC module. :(

Posted Image

The work area.

Posted Image

Before cleaning and tack cloth then primer.

Posted Image

Wet urethane high build primer made by Chuck Norris.

Posted Image

Edited by need4speed1299

Very nice!

I was a bit dissapointed in the respray of my front end a few years ago. We might have to talk.

Have you ever done any work with Dyed clearcoat? I am looking at getting a CF hood. I read a thread along time ago about a shop dying the clear black (my car is black) so from about 10 feet away the hood looked black, but up close you could see the weave through the clear. Talked to a few shops about this and they looked at me like I had....well, like I was an idiot.

Thanks Brian.

Earl, I do some work on the side when were not as busy. I was lucky enough to get the quarter done on a Saturday afternoon. Also, we don't do complete cars, only a few panels at a time.

REKIII, I haven't done much custom work. Anything is possible though. I would guess the guy mixed some black basecoat in the clear for the first coat, then straight clear for the second? I dont know about the longevity of that though.

Snap, I know what you mean. I did a new impala with a few hundred. The paint sanded easy though. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

The tinting of the carbon fiber hoods is accomplished by spraying a candy(color tinted clear) over them. Candies are available in every color of the rainbow so the possibilities are endless. Do not just add color to your clear coat as most colors are made with pigments and pigments are unpure and will make your clear cloudy, you must use colored dyes for this effect. NOTE: you cannot make something lighter so white and silver are out of the question. Sorry.

That's pretty interesting. So its a 3 stage. Base, tint, clear.

Brian, congrats on #2000. The paint was average for sanding. The 80s BMWs had some tough paint on them. Is there a video on youtube for your signature?

See, I wonder if it is a 3 step, they refer to candy, I always thought candy was a tinted clear to give the paint a dimension, like a clear tinted hard candy, thus the name. When over CF it seems it would be the base gel and or clear, then the candy effect. If you were doing something other than black, there might be more to it.

Honestly Trent, I wouldn't get a CF hood. I've never been a fan of them for some reason...

That is why the dye thing would be cool. It would look like a normal hood from anything further than 10' away, then up close you'd be able to see it wasn't. Even then it would still be very black, not the grey color that a lot of CF ends up with.

I agree though, I have a CF rear diffuser and CF front splitters and both are painted black.