WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Whats in a name?

AvusHatesCones

So I've been looking for a section 3 (axle back) exhaust for the E46, I honestly do love having a quiet car for once in my life, but I'm also so tired of when I push the car, I hear nothing... it goes like the dickens but makes no discernible noise. Its like being with a supermodel that when you're.... never mind I'm getting side tracked. Either way, I want some more sound out of it. And found that I like the sound of the Agency Power section 3, with some AR20 resonators welded in the section 1 to cut some of the rasp.

Problem 1.

Its $1,200.00 for the exhaust, I could take that money and buy the soon to come out Castro motorsport CSL intake :eek:

Problem 2.

I did some searching and found out that this exhaust has an identical twin ( I mean exactly the same product with a different logo)... and its twins name is Megan :confused::confused:

Problem 3.

The Megan sells for a relatively piddly $450.00 and comes with the obvious curse of badged tips that say Meagan.

So the question is, whats really in a name? I suppose I could just have the tips re-polished to remove the logos like a boss?

Thanks for letting me think out loud and I will leave you with this:

If it's exactly the same then why spend more money?

Same thing happened to me when purchasing a full exhaust for my supermoto. I could have bought a 700-some dollar yoshimura titanium exhaust system, but after searching for a while, found an exhaust builder out of CA who worked with an engine builder and they developed a pipe that performed very similarly (a tad more peak hp) than the yosh pipe. Oh, and the pipe was over 300 dollars cheaper. It was made out of stainless (and it was about 4 inches shorter) so the weight wasn't much of a concern.

Is there any difference in customer support? build quality? (if anything were to go wrong)

So yeah, personally if it was literally an identical twin, who cares? save some quarters for the same sound; just my .02

Oh, and thanks for that video, sounds nice.

FMU has done it, I just wonder what the drawbacks would be, if any. I could see that being a lot of really hot air going in the engine, where as right now my intake brings in just over ambient temps into the engine. With air being pulled in through scoops in the front grilles and piping coming from the air duct next to the driver side fog light.