WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

So yesterday day I noticed that my front sway bar drop link was disconnected, whatever. Kind of annoying. And for the past few weeks the rear had been clunking a bit and I wanted to know what was up, so I checked and somehow the rear sway bar mount had come off, whatever, just needed one (luckily I have a spare e30 that isn't going to be moving real soon(sadly)) so today I pulled one off the red car, got new hardware for it and for the front, and new tranny fluid. Hooked up the front just fine. Got to the rear and realized why it had come off.

Posted Image

So that was cool, for those that don't know, that area is supposed to be a whole piece with only one small hole in it, not a slot. So I decided to fix it, grabbed part of a starter plate that I had laying around and hacked it up a bit and made these.

Posted Image

Rough? Yes! Functional and stronger than hell? Heck yeah. Slapped those bad boys in the with the new hardware, and it was perfect!

Posted Image

And then for kicks and giggles I took out my rear adjuster for my springs, she tucks a 16

Posted Image

That's pointless and will probably be changed tomorrow, but its just one of those see how far you can go things.

I dont even want to talk about how messy my fluid change was, other than that I broke an extension.

Red cars motor (m50) will now be getting a FULL rebuild and boost prep, this means MLS head gasket, ARP head studs, new piston rings, new lower end bearings, and new valve seats. Should be fun!

He means the snowflake reps;) was that harlequin at Scooters last year? If so it looked great. Were they all polished faces with each wheels painted a different color between the spokes? And Ben, do you know what wheels the white car is currently rocking? I likes them;)

How far should I go with this motor re-build? Do I really need to do the main and crank bearings? or is that just extra money and time and work for something that really isn't a wear item anyway? Same question with piston rings, I would assume piston rings would be a decent idea, but is it really needed? I know I need to do a valve job and an MLS Gasket and ARP studs, because I am going to boost prep the motor while I am in there anyway, and if I can source s50 cams those would go in at the same time I think but who knows anymore. I picked up a laptop the other day after selling my desktop to TJ, so that was a good amount of money that could have been used in the swap, but you kind of need a computer to sell things efficiently, and realOEM does not work on my phone ;)

All in all, progress is being made (kind of)

I guess, if I were in the same position (which I will be eventually as I rebuild the wrx motor), if you have the cash and the part isn't crazy expensive, i'd replace it.. The peace of mind + knowing you're hoping for big HP #s = I'd replace just about any moving part that you can.

Boost prep idea went out the window, especially when a headgasket and ARP studs are 450 without shipping, I just got an OEM head gasket and studs for 50 dollars..... so thats a thing. Getting the head rebuilt by a local guy, full valve job and deck. Did an awesome job on another m50tu. Motor parts have been ordered and motor disassembly will start... tomorrow?

• 1 month later...

So I pulled the head off of my e34 M50TU to get the head rebuilt (valve seals were not the best on the exhaust of cylinder 3). So I had planned on just rebuilding the head, and slapping it back on, that is until I saw the cylinder walls. I shall let this picture do the talking.

Posted Image

They are glass, not cool at all. The picture makes them look a tad bit scratched but they are not.

So I need to do something about that, and I feel as though I wont be able to re-hone those because they have a fairly good lip where the piston stops its travel so I can tell its fairly worn(fairly clear in the picture). I am thinking that I cannot get away with just re-honing and new rings, but am I wrong? Or do I have to bore over .25 and use new rings (which is freaking expensive) Anyone have any insight on this? Obviously I would like to keep this fairly cost effective.

Any help is appreciated, and I am open to all options here!