WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The '89 525i on craigslist with a 1jz twin turbo

rampelsauce

The 1jz engine in a Bimmer? This makes you...  

17 members have voted

1. 1. The 1jz engine in a Bimmer? This makes you...

• Furious. This is an abomination that should be destroyed before it corrupts our youth.
    • Irritated. What will these damn ricers do next? An RB26 in a Isetta?
    • Curious. Maybe it wouldnt be too bad if done properly.
    • Happy. Alright! JDM power in BMW!
    • Ecstatic. This is the way it should be done!

Guest stealthbimmer

Its interesting, looks like the swap was done cleanly(ish). Why an e34? Because they are a dime a dozen compared to other older BMWs, and people dont look twice at them. With the price people try to sell older 3 series for(e30s, e36s), you could buy two e34s. They only weigh a couple hundred pounds more than an e36s, have much better amenities, drive is much nicer, and they are just better built....just my .02 (but then again, I am kind of biased) :D

edit: on another note, he is asking to much. That car is only going to be bought by a very specific person, there is not a huge market for it. Although, I am curious about it...and would love to drive it, I would never own it.

Guest Charles Dickens

And "curious" takes an astounding lead! I would love to drive it...

Everyone on the forum chip in $200 and trade it off like on the weekends like an unwanted child? :-D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

but would you want a top end rebuild?

then shave the engine bay, repaint whats needed, obd 1 conversion if needed, e34 oil sump if needed, might wanna do steering rack while your down there, engine mounts, custom transmission mount etc. it all adds up. just sayin you would be getting a lot more power going ls1 or 2jz for about the same price.

I think the guy that swapped my s50 into his e34 said it was pretty easy, he used a lot of parts off his overheated motor for the conversion.

I agree though, it will all add up if you wanna go full out with it, but for $5k I doubt that guy is really going to do all that work for you...

Yeah s50 into an m50 e34 is just a simple pull and drop. you dont have to change anything else.

naw, i wasnt going to get anyone to do it for me,just curious how he did brake booster setup, if he made his own transmission mounts engine mounts driveshaft etc

Its probably much easier to do in an e34 because of the bigger e-bay.

theres a company http://www.ksracing.net/e30.php that makes mounts for the exact swap into e30, but for 350 shipped id rather make them myself.

• 6 months later...
Guest stealthbimmer

nono, 1jz guy :)

Ill have to see if I can find his contact info, his name is Don... I lost my phone a couple months ago, along with all my numbers so I dont have it anymore. I will look through my e-mail though and see if we had any communication through there. Otherwise, I am sure he will call me one of these weeks.

I dont think that is the guy who builds them. That is the guy that bought the one that was for sale awhile ago. Don charges 5k+ for swap (includes price of engine/parts). Last time I talked to him he was amazed someone was selling one of his cars so cheap.

Guest stealthbimmer

I know someone looking to replace the m50 in their 525, so this would be perfect. Hopefully don is able to do 2jz as well though :) Hit me up if you find his number!

Shot you a PM, I think I found it.