WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 Suspension Guru's / Welders?

alexw

I picked up a set of German Engineering coilovers, which are much like the Ground Control "kit".

Does anyone have experience with shortening strut housings? Any good welders here?

I'm diving into this head first with no flipping clue as to what to do. From what I've read on r3vlimited, I don't HAVE to modify anything. But running shortened housings and shorter (iX) struts/shocks I'd be able to go lower...

I picked up a set of German Engineering coilovers, which are much like the Ground Control "kit".

Does anyone have experience with shortening strut housings? Any good welders here?

I'm diving into this head first with no flipping clue as to what to do. From what I've read on r3vlimited, I don't HAVE to modify anything. But running shortened housings and shorter (iX) struts/shocks I'd be able to go lower...

If you want to respect the roll centers of the car then I would suggest not slamming it. If you do, the springs and sway bars will need to be stiffer than they would normally need to be in order to keep body roll in control. I am going to go weigh my car again soon and calculate the roll-centers and try to determine exactly what is too low (at least for my car). At least with coilovers you have the option to slam it for looks then bring it to a more proper height for performance sake

I should have clarified, I'm not looking for a slammed look.

This guy on R3v has pretty much the setup I'd like:

Finally posting.

• Car is 1991 318is m42 motor
  • GE coils 450f 6"/650r 4.5"
  • I.E. Race front camber plates
  • Bilstein sport strut/shock
  • Rolled/pulled fenders
  • on 16x9 wheels et10
  • Front is all the way down
  • Currently need to lower the rear a bit more

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg525/scaled.php?server=525&filename=screenshot20120424at115.png&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg718/scaled.php?server=718&filename=screenshot20120424at112.png&res=landing

P.S.

Sig below: wheels are poked with 20mm spacers. making wheels et -10 and rear is lower about an inch.

He didn't modify anything besides cutting the spring perches. I'm not sure that I have bilsteins sports though. I have to look. The other option is chop 2 inches off of the strut housings and run iX bilsteins which a member has for sale here...

I'm going to be running 16 inch wheels so that should be about right.

But I think I'll have to cut the housings and just run the adjusters at a higher setting. And of course run the iX bilsteins...

I just need someone with some expertise and tools lol.

I don't know that I want to waste money on having a shop do it. Maybe I'll have them modify the strut housings but nothing else.

The guy who's car I posted, said all he did was cut off the spring perches, he's still running stock (well bilstein sport) struts and shocks.

I'm not sure what I have for suspension right now, but it's definitely stock or oem replacement. I'm not looking to spend a ton.

FullBannana has iX strut/shocks for me, but I'd have to do the cutting....

Idk....

And my 318... An 88 that I got for $400

Posted Image Posted Image

They both had euro weaves mounted at one point, I never really kept up with the mod list on these cars. We maintained them to some extent and then they both crapped out on us and were junked because we couldn't sell them before we left. Inspections were required prior to a sale of a car, so it was really a pain in the ass for sellers of subpar cars... No "as is" sales without a lot of BS to wade through.

Dude, I'm sure you've looked into it at some point. The cars have to be a certain age (typically 20-25) the best conditioned one was a 94... So-

Add the months of customs bullshit. Add that it had to be converted. Add the fact that they're rusty fucking cars (not just all e30's, but the touring's hatch is notorious for rust).... Add up the shipping cost ($1000+)... I could go on.

It's not worth shipping a car from overseas. And I'm sure you haven't already forgot... I had an E30 M3, that was a little more exciting than a 80's station wagon.

No, she's American. They don't allow dual citizenship unless you pay $$$ and the kid stays there for a certain period of time.

Importing is stupid. It's expensive and takes a long time. You're better off going to Canada. I think most of the tourings in the USA are Canadian. It seems to be easier. Also depends on where you register it. Some states seem to have lax rules if you import it as a collector car.

Its a lot of work for s,etching that's really not that cool. A touring alone isn't very cool to me. Maybe an M-tech 2 touring with a swap. But we're talking big money.