WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Porsche 944 opinions?

Ryan...

Gentlemen and ladies, I have found a 1985 944, 5 speed, 109k miles, for hella cheap. Thing is, it needs head work. I've found a set of completely refurbished heads on ebay for around $600.

Whats the general consensus on these cars? Anyone own one previously?

I like the idea of a cheap, well balanced, 30+ mpg hwy, and decent looking car.

I obviously still have the WRX to drive while I fixed the Porsche, and it could sit for as long as I needed while I fix it up and get it road worthy again. I'd also be considering a full suspension refresh, ground controls up front, and some fun days at Road America this summer..

Mine / checking out new rims and tires. The 944 does have some quirks such as the timing belt, balance belt and water pump that do need changed every 30k miles or 3 years. They also can have the oil cooler seal ( oil pan) that can crap out and get coolant in the crank oil which means new rod bearings. I haven't driven mine much since shortly after getting it it went into winter storage but they are a helluva lot of fun to drive! If you have other questions or want me to take a gander at it let me know.

Posted Image

Hammer down, sitting in yours was the reason I started thinking about getting one ;)

TJ, I decided I'd rather just grab a new turbo, fix all the boost leaks, and stick with a stage 2 car for now. 280 bhp is more than enough, and I'd rather have 2 fun cars than 1 really fast car lol

Its not hatin, that's the damn troof! Those were some of the least reliable Porsches ever made. Even today the parts are crazy overpriced, there's no aftermarket support/help for cheaper quality parts, they look like dog turds, and the performance is severely lacking compared to most cars.. Its a glass turd that costs $2k a year to keep running for the 3 days a year you wanna drive it..

Honestly, I might just buy this instead of another car..

Posted Image

Ryan, no.

Don't be lame.

pppffffff whatchu talkin 'bout foo?? Its a Ducati bro!

I agree on the 928- they were and are crap

I remember my uncle just standing there talking about how beautiful and awesome they were, and all I could think was "damn that thing is hideous!".. Then he started talking about how much the parts costs, and I couldn't believe they sold a single one off the showroom floor lol