WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Are there any m50 swaps in our group?

Guest blebob

Question

Its clean but its served its purpose. I have always liked the e30 better so I figured its time to fix some oil leaks and tired power by doing the swap. I do like the way that the m50 runs also. The e36 is in my album.

So Chadley are you happy with the result? Did you do the swap or pay someone? I'm trying to figure out whether I want to do mine or just have it done. That would bring up another problem , who to have do the swap!

Maybe all the ones I have seen have been in a bad state of tune, but I am just not that impressed with the M50. My opinion is that it would only be worth the effort to do an S50 at minimum, even then the S50 doesn't impress me much either (meaning that the cost and effort of the swap are not justified by the performance gains)

Edited by Snap Understeer

Sagaris, I guess thats whu I'm asking questions now rather than be sorry I pulled a perfectly running e36 apart. I was planning on doing a stroker motor but thats not a cheap route either. Are there any good builders in the area, I used to use a guy on the north side of Milw but he's out in Cali now. I'd love for Jenny Morgan to do it but don't think thats going to happen. Anyway I'm weighing my options.

Bill

You can stroker an M50 for less than 1k.

Get M54 pistons, crank, and rods. Drop em in, throw in either s5x cams or throw the intake cam out of an M54 in. You'll need trays and such and need to shorten the vanos gear by 4mm.

Heres a build thread

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569110&highlight=

Brilliant, yes. But if you dont know how to engine work, this might be a bit too much. I wanted to do it, but I think I' mgonna go FI. since the new compression ratio would be 10.5:1, that would not work too well with a turbo...lol...

I will have done two swaps within the next month, m50 swap into my 89 325is and one into a friends 84 318i, they really are simple once you have all the parts, I would gladly do it for you if you don't want to tackle it, if you had all of the parts, or had money right away for all of the parts I could probably do it in a week depending on my work schedule. It's a solid power plant with a lot of room for mods, I have also dabbled in motor building, m50's anyway. Text me some time 920-851-497five

yup i have an m50 swapped late model car.

didnt do the swap myself, bought it that way.

its an m50b25tu with the trans from the same car still attached.

with the 3.73 it was super torquey, lots of fun but too high of rpms for the freeway.

with the 3.25 it is still way better than the m20, but not quite as ballsy.

i have no complaints about the car except i dont think the brake booster was done quite right, as it leaks and causes a lumpy idle at times.

oil = so easy to change

power = good

27 mpg, 30 if i drive like a granny

anyone who tells you an m50 isnt worth it doesnt know what value is

Hummm! Lots of good stuff here. Grey, if I were to decide to do this I may use your services. 6pwr, I know I like the m50 better overall, its got plenty of power but even better its dependable. I have always had problems with oil leaks with the m20, and I think the rubber band is a pain in the ass. I'm also really tired of having to adjust valves all the time.

That being said, I would like to take a look at a couple of finished swaps. I would love to do the swap myself, but I travel way to much to be able to get finished in this decade..

My car has over 285k on it but has a factory new steering rack , tranny, and 4:11 LSD in it. The car has no rust on it, and the interior is nice and soft yet. I've had both e36 325is and M3's and they are nice but I'm not really into the doctor, lawyer image thing, I'm old but I still like to let it hang out if ya know what I mean! The e30 is a fun car! I just want to make mine alittle less work to drive. After this gets done then I can do what I do! Paint!

Bill

I don't mind it, that keeps the motor right at the power band at interstate speeds. It also sounds better than any stereo;-) Aint much that sounds better than a BMW motor thats happy!