WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Slick question on turbo stuffins

Jeff

Question

So this will be a complete waste of time for most.

Differences in journal/ball bearing

The question in questioning:

What is the minimum oil pressure a turbo shall require at let's say 7-10k rpm?

How much oil flow does the turbo need

0-300gpm?

Minimum amount of oil needed in a closed system( separate tank and cooler would be used)

How many qts?

5 answers to this question

Without being an engineer at Honeywell/Garrett, I would go about figuring this out emprically.

-Find the oil pressure specs for your engines operating range  (lowest pressure and highest pressure)

-Obtain an oil fitting with restrictor that you would use with your chosen turbo

gtoilinlet035-01.jpg

-Build a pressure vessel/container that can hold approximately a gallon of oil and withstand the highest pressure your oil pump can generate.

-Add an air fitting to the pressure vessel, set your air compressor regulator to the lowest pressure, see how much oil flows out over a given time. Repeat with your regulator set  at the highest pressure.

-Oil should probably be warmed to 200-230F for this experiment for greater accuracy.

All turbo manufactures have specs for oil pressure. Very very different oil needs for journal bearing and ball bearing systems. Running a separate tank  with a ball bearing system can be very beneficial, as you can run lighter oil, for more efficient operation and faster transient response, as you often need quite a thick oil with a high output turbocharged engine. 

I will be doing this on a 2 stroke engine so there is no oil pressure. So I should probably first ding an oil pump.

I recently purchased a 3-4 gpm pump for the hydraulic cooler on the dyno. Seems to work good not sure what kind of pressure it would build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk