WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

e39 blower motor issue

Delias95

Question

20 answers to this question

If it were the fsu then you would have blower action in the highest setting.  You probably lost your blower motor.  Was it making any noise before it failed?  ticking, squealing, etc?  I would check EVERY fuse with a test light before I replaced the blower motor.  There could be another circuit controlling the blower action that you have overlooked.

Any noise coming from your blower motor is concerning lol.  When they start to make noise that means they're starting to go or you have debris in there.  Could be days, months, years, who know's.  The point is, they shouldn't make noise.  

Check all fuses with a test light as this will eliminate all options.  If you have a voltmeter you can check and see if power is getting to the BM at the plug.

I had to replace an e32 blower motor, it had eaten through its bushings until the rotor was rubbing the stator. I found a used one otherwise someone mentioned in a forum about a using a certain Mercedes blower that was almost the same dimensions but much cheaper for some reason. I replaced it from under the hood by removing the plastic cover. It was not easy but seemed better than removing the whole hvac box inside the car.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

E32 and e39 the same? Honestly there was little to no noise to indicate the blower was bad. I said abive there might have been some noise but the more i thinkof it any noise i heard was onsidered normal to me as iv owned roughly 110 cars.  But who knows going to have to get down and look 

4 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

If it were the fsu then you would have blower action in the highest setting.  You probably lost your blower motor.  Was it making any noise before it failed?  ticking, squealing, etc?  I would check EVERY fuse with a test light before I replaced the blower motor.  There could be another circuit controlling the blower action that you have overlooked.

Iv been reading forums sll day and the fsu can fail and cause no blower action at all settings

3 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

That's not been my experience before but the fsu is the simplest part to replace if you want to start throwing parts at it.

Well i have been under looking for fuses 75 and 76 i can onky find one fuse under the glove box area i removed what i could and all i see is one larger 50a fuse that does not look to be blown i belive i am hearing a little noise in the area while my head was down there i was hearing an almost thunping noise and the car has been off almost all day. When i turn the fan on it does not work but i hear an ever so slight noise. Any suggestions on finding that other fuse or the noise i am hearing lol

On 2/8/2016 at 4:53 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

That's not been my experience before but the fsu is the simplest part to replace if you want to start throwing parts at it.

Well i have been under looking for fuses 75 and 76 i can onky find one fuse under the glove box area i removed what i could and all i see is one larger 50a fuse that does not look to be blown i belive i am hearing a little noise in the area while my head was down there i was hearing an almost thunping noise and the car has been off almost all day. When i turn the fan on it does not work but i hear an ever so slight noise. Any suggestions on finding that other fuse or the noise i am hea

Update: well i should have listened when they said doubke check all fuses. Turnes out the fuse i replaced (28) was bad and i didnt notice it?  When i originaly replaced fuse 28(was blown) it didnt work at all still. Replaced with a 10a(calls for a 30a but thats all i had on hand) started up and worked great. Not to my surprise that fuse blew right away i will be buying a new 30a and enjoying my heat another day