WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 no start problem. Help!

AvusHatesCones

Question

Hey everyone I'm new to posting on this forum, and hoping someone has some ideas for me!

Ok, so to start off, the car is an 89 325ix that I bought running with a really bad auto trans, so did what any logical person does and started a 5 speed swap. Finally finished the swap last week, including disabling the neutral safety switch (which I assume I did correct because the car now cranks).

Now the car will crank all day long but will not start! I am not getting spark, and I dont think I'm getting fuel either because the plugs dont smell like gas when I pull them after cranking the car. So to me it sounds like one electrical problem causing both issues. Crank sensor? Nope did that, didnt work. Main relay? Nope did that too. Then just for the hell of it, new cap and rotor, and plugs, and also have a new set of wires waiting to be put in.

Now I'm running out of ideas, patience, money and dont have a car right now because as luck would have it the valve cover gasket just let go on my M3

Any ideas you guys have would be a huge help!

13 answers to this question

I've never done the 5speed swap, but looking through this thread the issue of crank but no start issue was a blown fuse (#10): http://www.e30s10.com/Other/5spd%20swap/

Other things to consider: Is the car throwing any codes on a stomp test? Starter issues, coil issues, fuel injector harness, grounds, fuel relay. Anything you disconnected during the swap?

I've never done the 5speed swap, but looking through this thread the issue of crank but no start issue was a blown fuse (#10): http://www.e30s10.com/Other/5spd%20swap/

Other things to consider: Is the car throwing any codes on a stomp test? Starter issues, coil issues, fuel injector harness, grounds, fuel relay. Anything you disconnected during the swap?

I didnt try the stomp test yet, but the starter is brand new, the coil is brand new, I do need to double check all of the grounds though, but I'm not sure thats it

Idk what you all unplugged, but you could have mixed up the crank position with something else. Off the harness, under the circle dealio for reseting maintenance are 2 connections. Try switching them. The other one is a refernce sensor from the plug wires.

Make sure your plug wires are hooked up in the right spots on the cap. The wire from the coil connects in the center. Also, make sure the cap is on all the way.

Lasty, make sure nothing under the dash is unplugged.

Never fear, I'll be at your house Monday evening... :)

+1 from Nick, the plugs are interchangeable, very possible you could have swapped them, they are 2 wires plugs....

Man, I don't even own an e3o, I should totally buy one with the knowledge I've gotten through the years...

Hahaha thanks Kevin! I will be sure to have some beer waiting for ya! Any preference?