WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New Guy Looking For Help On 1991 318i Rear End

teamjunk58

Question

Hi, I'm new. Please go easy on me. I have owned plenty of cars but never a BMW. I now have a 1991 318i that I would like to put an LSD in. It looks pretty easy to swap, I just need to know what I can swap it with. I went through pages and pages on here and all I really found was a thread about how to pull one out with a forklift. Haha. This is not a street car, and it's not really a track car. Let's leave it at that. I just need to know what has an LSD that will work in my car. Or where to find one. And what they're worth so I don't get ripped off. If all else fails, I'll weld the thing together. Just looking for options. Thank you very much in advance.

15 answers to this question

4cyl cars (with the exception of the M3) came with what is known as a "small case" diff.

6cylinder cars came with a "medium case" diff. Replace the word "case" with "penis size" and you get the jist

You will have a better chance of finding a medium case lsd than a small case lsd and you will not only have more variety of ratios, but they will likely cost less.

I have removed and installed an e30 diff no less than 6 times and now it feels like something only slightly more technical than an oil change.

Do you have plans to increase power?

Also welcome to here

Thank you for the welcome wagon sir. I do not plan on touching the engine. It is already pretty nasty for what it is. I don't know what's been done to it but a previous owner liked this car way too much. I am just looking for a better rear end to help with traction. I assume the medium case can only be found in the e30 body style? And is there any kind of rhyme or reason to them? Such as ALL 6 cylinder cars had them. Or ONLY automatics had them. Etc. Etc.

Again, thank you for any and all help.

Yes, my car is a 5-speed. While reading on line somewhere, it stated that 5-speed cars had open diffs and autos had limited slip. But I don't know if that is accurate. I honestly don't care what the gear ratio is, I just need to get out of the hole and one tire is not cutting it. I just need a cheap solution that will bolt in.

Yes, my car is a 5-speed. While reading on line somewhere, it stated that 5-speed cars had open diffs and autos had limited slip. But I don't know if that is accurate. I honestly don't care what the gear ratio is, I just need to get out of the hole and one tire is not cutting it. I just need a cheap solution that will bolt in.

The LSD was an option and available with either transmission. You have to be careful what you read online, not all of it is legit.

i want to make sure OP is talking about the same thing everyone else is:

we're talking about an LSD that's already installed to the pumpkin, which indeed is not that hard. 

But if you are talking about taking a pumpkin apart and applying an LSD, you better damn sure know what you're doing. There are a myriad of things that can  go wrong if you aren't good and have the right tools. A lot of people don't know how to properly install an LSD and end up with things like backlash being way out of spec. 

as long as you're talking about juts swapping in a new pumpkin with an LSD in it, then carry on.