WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Driving Aids

B C

Question

ABS: like it for hard driving, hate it in snow, would rather have it than not have it

TRACTION CONTROL: I hate it everywhere, especially when its non-defeatable on a fwd car in the snow. Ho-lee-ish do I hate it

STABILITY CONTROL: I like it as long as its defeatable. It is simple and it works, compare wheel speed data, brake the front outside wheel when theres oversteer. Basic systems (cars that only have stability control because its a govt mandate) dont appear to have any anti-understeer control, only anti-oversteer.

BMW DSC is quite a lot better/less intrusive/smooth when it does compared to all other systems ive experienced

Overall I just wish drivers-ed programs exposed people to the threshold of grip in different vehicles and scenarios. I think that knowledge would go further to help prevent accidents rather than having the cars' systems go into damage control mode when the driver asks for more than conditions are willing to give

2 answers to this question

I like ABS in all conditions.  I have driven with and without it and I definitely prefer with it.  Also understanding how it works gave me more appreciation for how it aids in reaction times and control as opposed to defeats them.

I like Stability and Trac when they work together but a bad Trac system is more dangerous then not having it.  GM always comes to mind when I talk about bad Trac systems.

I also agree with you on drivers ed programs.  I was lucky enough to have a RWD, FWD and 4WD vehicle at our house when I started driving and my dad made a point to throw me in situations when driving them to give me an idea how they all react differently.  I plan on doing the same for my son when he is of driving age and hopefully I can have him take some kind of driving course as well.

ABS is handy for 'no-brainer' driving situations.  When you're commuting you don't want to have to focus on brake modulation.  However, in performance driving situations like twisty back roads or tracks, ABS gives you a less connected feeling.  ABS for AutoX all day.

DSC works.  It just does.  For the casual driver, it usually means the difference between driving home or calling a tow truck to get you out of a snowy ditch. 

Look at the Scandinavian model for auto licensing.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Norway

It's no wonder the best drivers of all time are from Scandinavian countries.  It's not a right, it's a priviledge, and they treat it as such.