WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

4 door e30 opinons

michael1972

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I bought the car today. Just got back from MN. Good thing I am changeing the suspension as it's on original shocks and they are very blown out. The po had records for every other type of maintenance includeing the timing belt a few years ago. But for the life of me can't understand why the shocks were never replaced. The car is superclean but I need a shifter boot. Interior is tan/brown. If anybody has one let me know. I will be in the Milwaukee area tomorrow for thanksgiving and will pick up. Thanks

My 2c

I think you would be much happier long term with a quality kit like the H&R.  If you want it to be stanced (not dissing that but it is a completely different goal) then get racelands.  If you want a good handling lowered car get the H&R.  I have an Eibach Sport shock/spring kit on my e36 and I love it.  It is not dragging on the ground, I never worry about scraping on a driveway but the wheel gap is gone and it handles great but still rides like a BMW should.  The H&R says a 2" drop in the front which I think would be a great height.  The rear doesn't drop as much because they already look saggy in the rear.

Don't get racelands for an e30. Even if you want to be stanced out, they won't work for that. For a sub $1000 setup I wouod highly recommend bilstein sport rear shocks, ground control springs and collars, and corrado front strut inserts. Section about 1"-2" out of the front struts and mount the collars and you have the best budget coils you can get=)

Struts and springs will still lead to wheel gap. JOM's ride like cheap coilovers. The springs/sleeves, corrado inserts, and rear bilsteins is really the way to go on a budget.

Tucking bumpers involves drilling a small hole in the bumper shocks and smacking the bumpers in.

Yea I was gonna ask how do you tuck the bumpers? Also whats the word on the JOM coilovers? Looks like decent reviews for the most part. Because I watched a vid on a h&r race spring install and the after pics the front still hass like over a inch of wheel gaaaaap

You can snag a set of e90 spring hats for $30 from the dealer to even out the front ride height with h&r race

Struts and springs will still lead to wheel gap. JOM's ride like cheap coilovers. The springs/sleeves, corrado inserts, and rear bilsteins is really the way to go on a budget.

Tucking bumpers involves drilling a small hole in the bumper shocks and smacking the bumpers in.

Theres a thread over on r3v where someone got a face full of the pressurized gas/oil while drilling and it really goofed up their lungs